Ionic is the leading open source platform for building mobile experiences with the web. Our ecosystem of OSS developers tools - from the hugely popular Ionic Framework to the fast growing Stencil and Capacitor - allow web developers to build incredible app experiences using the tools, languages, and libraries that they know and love. While Ionic’s ecosystem of products is already widely used, we’re looking for a growth-minded leader who can bring us to new heights, and drive adoption of our products across the entire web ecosystem.
In your role as Head of Developer Relations, you’ll be measured on your ability to:
• Grow the Ionic developer community, as measured in terms of adoption and usage of our open source products.
• Increase awareness of Ionic in the broader web and mobile app development communities, measured via new social media followers, web visits, and signups.
• Improve the Ionic developer experience through advocacy and programs that make it easier to discover, adopt, and gain value from Ionic’s products and services.
• Activate and empower our community on social media and online forums, along with virtual and physical events and meetups.
• Lead a team of world-class engineers and developer advocates.
Your areas of ownership will include:
• Lead a team of developer advocates and technical educators to build an active, loyal, and passionate technical community.
• Develop and execute the strategy to increase the number of developers who regularly interact with and build with Ionic Framework, Capacitor, and Stencil.
• Oversee all developer content marketing, from blog posts, web copy, email marketing and newsletters.
• Manage the developer journey from website to documentation to tools.
• Create inspiring product demos, tutorials, and other videos to use for events and web marketing.
• Manage and grow developer communication channels such as Discord, Discourse, StackOverflow, etc.
• Moderate discussions on the Ionic forum, ensuring that topics are on point and that questions are responded to well and in a timely fashion (either personally or through the community participants).
• Capture, analyze, and share relevant developer insights with the product and engineering teams.
• Collaborate with marketing and sales to launch new services, features, and enhancements effectively through the developer community.
• Look to grow and discover new ways to better serve the Ionic technical community.
• Report on the progress of our community growth goals to Ionic’s senior leadership team.
To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
• A highly strategic, growth mindset that understands the key levers that will drive community growth and developer adoption
• Strong leadership skills and high emotional IQ
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Flexible and able to handle the change and volatility that comes with working in a startup environment.
• Professional, empathetic, and helpful — you enjoy interacting with open source community members and supporting your fellow developers.
• Your talents enhance Ionic’s culture of humility, authenticity, continuous learning and improvement, transparency, communication, and customer-centricity.
To qualify for this role, you’ll benefit from having:
• “Growth hacker” experience successfully growing a new business, product, or service
• Prior experience leading a Dev Real team or acting as a senior individual contributor
• Experience in modern web development languages, tools, and techniques, as well as one or more modern JS frameworks (Angular, React, Vue).
• Demonstrated ongoing personal or professional work in mobile application development.
• A CS degree and the knowledge of core concepts it provides are highly valued but not required.
• Cordova, Capacitor, Ionic Framework, or hybrid app experience are a big plus.
• Native (iOS/Android) experience is a huge plus.
Fully remote, Ionic is currently a 100% remote workforce and was largely distributed prior to the pandemic (more than half the team did not work from the office). Our headquarters is located in Madison, WI.
Reporting to: VP of Marketing
Additional Notes: Applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
Who we are
Our software empowers developers and teams to build amazing mobile, web, and desktop applications.
In 2013 we launched Ionic Framework, an open source software project that made it possible for web developers to build fast, beautiful mobile apps for any platform, using the web tools and languages that they already know and love.
Since then, our platform has evolved far beyond our initial open source toolset. Ionic now offers a complete app development platform to help professional developers and teams build, secure, and deliver apps faster and more easily than ever before. Ionic’s open source and premium tools now power more than 15% of all apps in the app stores -- representing early-stage startups all the way up to major brands like GE, Target, and Amtrak. At the same time, our vibrant open source community now encompasses more than 5 million developers in 200 countries.
We provide full-time employees with full benefits including medical, dental, and vision coverage with available coverage for spouses or domestic partners and children, stock options, 401(k), generous holiday and sick paid time off.