At cLabs, the team working on the open source platform Celo, our mission is to build a financial system that creates the conditions for prosperity for all.
Celo aims to remove the barriers for large-scale adoption of cryptocurrencies as means-of-payment. Using a novel address-based encryption algorithm, the Celo protocol makes sending money as easy as sending a text. Additionally, Celo uses stable-value tokens pegged to fiat currencies, like the US Dollar, to minimize volatility. Celo is an open protocol enabling many to participate in the system, even with a budget Android smartphone. The first application that launched on the Celo platform, Valora, is a social payments and money transfer app, aimed at developing markets.
The communications team at cLabs is looking for an excellent writer, storyteller, and communicator to build an editorial/content function and team. In this role you’ll be the visionary, creator, and keeper for the organization’s content platform and strategy. You will curate and report on news across the Celo ecosystem and within the broader crypto community, as well as seeking out stories and perspectives within Celo.
You must be comfortable working across content types and with executives to develop and tell compelling stories through written and digital work. The head of editorial will also cultivate the channels where our content is delivered and work across teams to identify opportunities to develop content and amplify our executives’ voices.
This is a new department within Celo and will require someone with an entrepreneurial spirit who can devise and implement an editorial/content program from scratch and build a team of writers and storytellers to bring that vision to life.
- In partnership with the marketing and communications teams, design and execute a long-term vision for content across the entire Celo ecosystem, including cLabs, the Celo Foundation, third party organizations building on the Celo platform, and relevant industry partners and leaders.
- Plan, edit, and write content for a variety of owned communications channels. This includes: the Celo blog, Celo ecosystem news, updates from third party developers, and industry news that’s salient to the broader crypto community.
- Hire and manage a team of freelance writers to maintain a steady flow of high-quality, timely content, with the possibility of building a team of writers in-house over the longer term.
- Partner closely with content marketing to develop a long-term engagement strategy to attract readers.
- Support the development and distribution of content for Celo’s thought leadership program in conjunction with senior leadership and communications and marketing team members.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with other departments like the Design, Product, Engineering, and Builder teams.
- Optimize / grow existing channels and ensure all content fits brand / tone standards.
- 10+ years editorial and content development experience, with a focus in journalism—either in news reporting and/or an editorial capacity. Extensive experience writing about technical topics and a basic understanding of the crypto/blockchain space.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a portfolio of writing and editing experience.
- Ability to identify how content fits into a company’s strategy and larger goals.
- Experience managing a team of writers.
- Speed and agility to produce content with a short lead time and in response to a rapidly changing environment.
- Strong sense of what great content looks like when you see it. Sound intuition of what people prefer to consume and a sense for how to make technical material fun and digestible.
- A positive, entrepreneurial, can-do spirit with a passion for building teams, departments and processes from the ground up.
cLabs ("Celo Labs") started Celo in 2017 and is one of many contributors to the open source project Celo. cLabs builds financial technology to enable prosperity of all beings.
cLabs is a Teal organization, a method of decentralized management and organizational governance. Roles are defined around the work, not people, and there is a high degree of autonomy. As such, we're all proud to hold the job title of "Partner." For more information on our culture, we encourage you to check out our blog at https://medium.com/celohq/the-future-is-teal-cc264a5d51d3
To build technology and products that are used and loved by people and solve real-world problems, we need to build a team with many different perspectives and experiences. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)celo.org
. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.