At Castle, we're on a mission to protect online users against hackers and bots. Our vision is to be the easiest and most developer friendly way of adding user account security processes to your platform. Using our APIs, companies can track user interactions to figure out when accounts have been compromised as well as giving their users the ability to recover their accounts eg. by sending out an email notification or text message.
You'll be our most senior engineering leader, reporting directly to our technical CEO. Your center of gravity is on the culture, organization, and execution side. It's ok if you're not an expert in the security domain, but our product is highly technical and built for massive scale, so a strong infrastructure and data shuffling background will make your job much easier.
Engineering is one of the most critical functions at Castle. Out of the 40 or so employees, about 50% of the company consists of engineers and data scientists. The company spans three locations globally, but with an ambition to go fully remote.
We're still an early stage, Series A company, but we're already processing billions of events every month, and we continuously deploy machine learning models into production that sit inline a customer's authentication flow and are required to return a roundtrip prediction in about 50-100ms.
Early 2019, we raised a $9.2M Series A led by Index Ventures, with participation from First Round Capital and Y Combinator, and we're currently gearing up for our Series B. Castle is the first choice of companies like Atlassian, Datadog, Chime, and Rockstar Games when it comes to protecting their users.
What you'll do
- Establish a strong engineering culture consistent with the broader Castle culture which we can all be proud of; no blame, high trust, empathy, vulnerability, and autonomy.
- Set expectations and goals for the engineering organization. Continuously measure progress and communicate why we’re doing things and why they're important
- Build out a remote-first organization that scales and delivers on time; product engineering, infrastructure, data science, project management, quality assurance
Who you are
- At least 5 years in engineering management
- At least 10 years in engineering
- Managed multiple teams, however, you're not required to have led engineering for an entire organization. Maybe you're a Director of Engineering at a later stage startup
- Experience working in or at least a great appreciation for a multi-location setup will be key to your ability to succeed, especially interfacing with engineering across different timezones
- Flexible vacation – take time off when you need it
- 10 year post-termination option exercise window vs the industry standard 90 days
- 100% medical/vision/dental insurance coverage
- Paid parental leave
- Work From Home package
- 401k with matching up to 6%
Castle has a positive, inclusive, and supportive culture and the folks we seek are passionate about evolving it. Creating a place of belonging for all individuals is part of our core ethos, and we are committed to fostering a safe and productive environment where everyone can do their best work. Together, we aim to be humble, hardworking, solution-oriented and, above all, good team players who get things done. If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description.