Based in the UK, INSTANDA is an insurance software provider challenging the status quo. We have built an exciting software tool which fundamentally changes how companies who sell insurance can design and deliver insurance products to the market. We work directly with Insurers, Managing General Agents (MGA’s), and Brokers. Using leading-edge technologies, INSTANDA insurance software is entirely configurable from the ground up. It is not a one-size-fits-all model. We allow companies to use insurance software in the way they want to. We have many global clients using INSTANDA who confirm the game-changing benefits of the product — significant speed coupled with time and cost savings for the insurance sector.
Founded in 2012, we spent several years designing and building the platform which is now being used globally by some of the world’s largest insurance companies. Amongst our many achievements, we were recently chosen by Microsoft UK as a disruptive technology that their ventures program sponsored. With just 20 employees in the company in January 2017, INSTANDA now has almost 100 employees based in the UK (London, Histon, and Huntingdon), in the US, and Canada. We are expanding globally and look forward to hiring employees throughout London, Europe, and North America to join our team.
Learn more about us at https://instanda.com/
Based in Histon, Huntingdon, or London, we are looking for a Head of Engineering to join our team. Reporting to our Chief Architect, this is a brand new role created at INSTANDA. We are looking for someone to join our team to increase our excellence in the engineering area .This person will have a strong technical understanding, but enjoys managing and organizing teams. If this sounds interesting to you, please keep reading!
Role & Responsibilities
- Expect to have a large number of direct reports (6 Development Leads, Technical Delivery Manager and QA Lead)
- Be a critical thought partner to think about scaling the engineering function in an effective manner
- Own and execute the engineering operational delivery plans
- Management of direct reports - this includes some of the below elements and more:
- Explaining commercial/business drivers to the engineering stakeholders and vice-versa
- Having a coaching mind-set with direct reports
- Willingness to have difficult conversations when required
- Managing Performance and OKR’s of all Direct Reports
- Partnering closely with HR and Senior Managers on any people updates
- Instil best practices and accelerate the team’s delivery and quality
- Deliver on the company goals and departmental objectives as it relates to software engineering and defined though Objectives and Key Results (OKR’s)
- Manage communications between Engineering and internal departments
- Lead cross department hotfix calls and updates
- Represent the Engineering department on contractual & administrative matters
- Identify internal stakeholders who are inspired to implement game-changing solutions and outcomes to transform the operations of software delivery within INSTANDA.
- Keeps abreast of industry trends and competitive landscape
- A degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Information Services, Business, or related field
- 7+ years’ experience in senior Engineering roles covering development and execution
- 10+ years of overall engineering operations, project delivery and technology leverage within relevant industries. Microsoft tech stack is preferred but not essential)
- 3+ years experience in a high growth environment is a must
- Successful track record of managing, coaching, and leading a large team
- Mature, flexible and patient demeanor. We operate in a fast paced environment that changes quickly
- Strong time management skills with ability to ask good questions
- Strong interest to stay abreast of digital operating modes, enabling technologies, best practices, and insurance industry direction
- Must have good grasp of the challenges facing the operations of software development and engineering functions
- Can foster a highly collaborative culture across Engineering, Platform Support, Client Delivery, and Solutions
- Proactively brings new approaches, technologies and methodologies to the table to drive planning and strengthen release planning
- Experience working for a SaaS platform, Start-up, or within the insurance industry is an asset
- Once we ‘return to work’ in a safe manner, there will be an expectation to visit our Histon and Huntingdon offices once a week (permitting covid requirements)
- You will get to work with one of the worlds best insurtech brands
- You have the opportunity to be part of one of the worlds best insurtech brands, where you get to make big contributions
- We offer 25 vacation days but recognize that some people like more personal time! We offer the option of buying up to 5 additional vacation days per year. We also offer additional vacation days for each year of service. After 5 years, our employees have 30 days of vacation.
- We offer a wellness allowance of 100 GBP per month. We would like our employees to use this towards private medical health, a gym membership, or health and wellness related expenses. We also deliver fresh fruit to the office weekly!
- We offer an annual bonus based on the performance of YOU, your department, and the performance of our company
- One year after joining the company, employees are eligible for share options
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Pension Match
- Learning & Development Benefits are available for all our employees!
- Flexibility to work from home at least 2 days per week
- And much more!
METHOD OF APPLICATION
- Please apply directly online
- We are not using any agencies or staffing firms for this role – please do not contact us
- You must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for this role