Today, billions of lives are cut short by illness. Unfulfilled dreams, uncompleted work, time spent with loved ones — think what we could collectively achieve if we all lived longer. Huma partners with scientists, technologists, healthcare, and pharma professionals to understand, treat, and ultimately prevent ill health. Giving knowledge and power to those with medical conditions, while saving clinicians time, energy, and valuable resources.
At Huma, you’ll be working on a mission to create a world where we all collectively benefit from the data we individually generate – where we can all live our longest, fullest lives.
The core mission of the Head of Legal, Commercial is to design and implement legal, contracting and compliance solutions across Huma’s commercial and operations group. As data is at the heart of what we do you will also be responsible for owning our data protection programme. You will thrive in an environment that asks you to deliver at pace, juggle competing priorities, work to short turnaround times and bring your energy and enthusiasm to respond quickly to a business that is scaling fast.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a commercially savvy lawyer who is excited by the prospect of helping Huma grow globally and achieve our goal of giving the world more time so we can all live our longest, fullest lives.
What you will be doing
- Develop the legal strategy to deliver commercial goals
- Work as a key member of the Delivery & Operations team to support business growth including expansion into new business verticals and geographies
- Work with the leadership and commercial teams to draft, negotiate and close commercial and other contracts
- Build strong relationships with clients' legal teams to facilitate better ways of working
- Provide pragmatic legal advice in a timely manner to the commercial and other teams
- Collaboratively define Huma’s preferred positions on key legal terms and educate relevant team members
- Manage and grow the legal team
- Ensure Huma has a fit for purpose suite of contracts/templates
- Fulfil all obligations and requirements under UK & EU data protection law, in particular the GDPR
- Manage all data subject access requests and privacy breaches while mitigating risks and preventing recurrence
- Carry out periodic audits to ensure compliance with data protection law
- Advise our teams on data protection law in a professional and timely manner
Your skills & capabilities
- UK qualified Solicitor with 10+ years PQE focused on Commercial Law
- Life Sciences (pharma, biotech or medical devices) experience required
- SaaS and/or Technology experience preferred
- Data Protection Officer (DPO) experience preferred
- Strong experience in drafting, negotiating and advising on commercial contracts in multiple geographies
- Experience in working across multiple jurisdictions
- Ability to identify risk with sound commercial awareness
- Ability to work hands on with excellent drafting skills
Playing to your strengths
- Ability to think on your feet and provide practical solutions quickly
- Self-solver - seek solutions through collaboration
- Vision - imagine what is possible, and drive our business forward
- Desire to work in a fast paced, agile environment
- Comfortable working autonomously but also a team player
- Inquisitive and passionate about learning
- Strong influencing, problem solving & interpersonal skills
Come join us!
We believe magic happens when you bring together diverse ideas, experiences, and styles. We want to create a world where people live longer, fuller lives, and to do that well we need a team that represents all of the people and communities who use our solutions. We are an environment where everyone has the opportunity to do their best work.
If there are any adjustments we can make for our process to be more inclusive, please get in touch.
Dear recruitment agency friends: Huma attracts an amazing number of direct candidates and we do not need any help at this stage, so please do not send us unsolicited agency resumes. This is not a great use of your time, and we will not accept any liability or fees for any resumes or candidates which we have not asked you to find for us.