MyTutor is the UK’s leading online platform for one-to-one learning, and we're on a mission to improve education for everyone in the UK and beyond. We’re building a future where access to high quality learning is stress-free for those who can afford it, and funded for those who can't.
Our handpicked community of tutors work online with students from all walks of life, and have already given over half a million lessons. We’re proud of the fact that over 1,300 schools have also chosen to work with us, and that we’ve earned a Trustpilot rating of 4.8/5. (You can also check out our tutors’ ratings here.)
Our team of nearly 300 is distributed across the UK, meaning we encourage a hybrid culture that supports collaboration and flexibility. We are a learning organisation and hope to work with more people who are passionate about doing great work and improving every day.
We always prioritise our team wellbeing and development. Everyone has the option to use our hotdesking app, Desana, to book a table and room at our coworking office near Spitalfields, London.
Every role at MyTutor is open to applications from all sections of society. We see potential in every individual regardless of: race, ethnic origin or nationality; religion or belief; physical or neuro-ability; socio-economics or age; marital, domestic or civil partnership status; sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic that makes you… well, you.
We are committed to conscious inclusion to create a sense of belonging, connection and shared purpose within our teams. We know it’s the right thing to do, and we know it will make us all happier, fulfilled, and successful in our work. You can also find a copy of our current Gender Pay Gap report here and we are continuing to build our roadmap of creating a more diverse and inclusive workforce.
What’s it all about?
We are currently recruiting for a Head of Legal to join us at MyTutor. This is a high profile role in our business and you will be the go to person for all Legal, Risk and Compliance matters. As an already established and successful EdTech Brand we are looking for someone who can help facilitate further growth, both through continued international expansion and the development and launch of new products.
Acting as a true business partner, you will deliver sound, timely legal support and advice to all departments across the business, offering pragmatic solutions to complex positions.
Day to day, you'll work closely with the MyTutor senior leadership team, providing Legal & Compliance advice (and positive challenge as and when required). You’ll be dealing with a variety of legal issues, from IP to employment, from data to tax structures, as well as owning our emerging safeguarding function.
You'll keep them abreast of legal, regulatory and industry developments, ensuring MyTutor remains compliant whilst making the most of any commercial opportunities. As a result you'll play a key role in shaping business strategy and be a real catalyst for our growth.
What’s in it for you?
- You will be joining a business with a true social purpose - we are on a journey to impact 1million student lives
- You will have the freedom and autonomy to curate and develop your function within our business to help us achieve our objectives.
- You will have a big impact at senior levels on our direction of travel and exposure to a growing EdTech business at a really exciting time in our journey.
The Day to Day
- Lead a team of 5 across Legal Counsel, Compliance, Safeguarding & Legal Tech Operations
- Ensure appropriate processes and guidelines are in place to support contractual compliance in all areas
- Help MyTutor to continue growing whilst ensuring we are aligned to, and complying with the Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE) guidance and satisfying the expectations of external stakeholders.
- Liaise and report to our C-suite on all areas of legal, compliance and risk
- Oversee and act on complex legal matters, assessing contentious and non- contentious issues and balancing in-house legal expertise against the need to seek managed external advice
- Responsible for the delivery of drafting/reviewing and where relevant negotiating commercial contracts (including concession/consignment, wholesale, tech, and e-com contracts) with support of COO
- Own the MyTutor risk matrix, and associated processes, to ensure it captures risks from across the business, and mitigation activity is focused in the most appropriate areas
- Own Contracts, Terms and Conditions, Safeguarding and Data (GDPR)
- Run the Safeguarding function (team of two), responsible for policies, procedures and training in place to meet our obligations
- Provide advice and support to the business on any legal and complex employment issues, including any expansion for of international operations
- Be accountable for all Legal and Compliance risks and their mitigations
- Able to distil hard to understand legal concepts into business recommendations that can be taken to the Board
- Oversee and reporting on our IP position, including any risks and mitigants
- Provide fundraising support, working alongside internal and external stakeholders and investors
Who will you be?
- Ideally you will have 6+ years PQE
- Experience heading up a legal department in a start-up/scale-up
- Have previously worked in a corporate law firm
- Exposure across litigation, commercial, employment & compliance
- You’ll have a good understanding of CoSec matters relevant to fast growth scale-ups
- You'll also have a proven track record of working closely with senior leadership
- You’ll be happy working in a hands-on manner - you'll never be far from the action and day to day running of your department
- You are able to successfully support people reaching the desired commercial and customer outcome in the most effective and legal/compliant way
The role is hybrid and we are looking for this person to work from our London HQ twice a week, alongside our Senior Leadership Team.
Perks & Benefits
- A salary of £90,000-£110,000 p.a. dependending on experience/PQE.
- Flexible/Hybrid working culture with access to our London HQ, global co-working spaces and home office setup
- A wide range of communities: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Pride Network, Women’s Network, Heritage Network and Neurodiversity Network
- Inclusive Policies that safeguard and enable LGBTQ+ staff to flourish
- Investment in your learning with a personal L&D budget of up to £350 (pro-rated for part-time employees)
- Workplace nursery scheme
- Workplace pension
- Private Healthcare option through BUPA
- Enhanced parent policies
- Cycle, tech and gym schemes
- Mentor/mentee scheme
- Regular team events & socials
- 25 days holiday (plus public holidays + a ‘time for me’ day)
- A culture that champions well-being with workshops and 1:1 coaching
The Interview process at MyTutor will be 4 stages:
- Technical Skills Assessment
- 1st Stage: Skills & Expertise Interview with Director of People & GM
- 2nd Stage: Case Study & presentation Interview with COO & Current Head of Legal
- 3rd Stage: Culture & Values Add Interview with our CEO