Thorn builds technology to defend children from sexual abuse. We build bridges to join forces with law enforcement, technology companies and nonprofits to stop the spread of child sexual abuse material, help identify victims and to stand up to and identify offenders.
Thorn is at an inflection point, and seeking a Head of Marketing to lead and execute our brand vision and strategy that deliver against our core business objectives. In 2019, Thorn will receive multiple recognitions on a global stage (confidential with details to follow) that will significantly increase our brand exposure, allowing us the opportunity to dramatically scale our impact and meet our ambitious goals. The Head of Marketing will steward the brand through this phase of rapid growth, expanding our platform to include new audiences, and build out the marketing and communications tools required to deliver against mission-critical business goals, while honoring Thorn’s core mission and vision.
The Head of Marketing will lead by example, embodying and furthering our flexible and nimble team culture. You are an energetic and dynamic leader who inspires collaboration in your colleagues and partners. You adapt quickly to new circumstances and have an open-minded, resourceful approach to obstacles. You have experience in managing and growing a team. You will join a passionate, dedicated, innovative and ambitious team committed to doing whatever it takes to eliminate child sexual abuse from the internet. You are fierce, motivated by challenges, and actively seeking the most rewarding experience of your life.
What You'll Do:
- Build and lead a dynamic marketing team that delivers both unique department value, and acts as a service to support all key functions of Thorn’s work.
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders to develop and deliver the vision and strategy for Thorn’s expression in all markets and for all audiences.
- Plan and execute an integrated marketing and communications strategy to ensure consistency across Thorn’s varied audiences and touchpoints.
- Manage marketing activities across public relations, digital channels, partner marketing and contribute to collaborative efforts with development and programmatic campaigns.
- Ensure the integrity of the Thorn brand and mission across all internal and external efforts.
- Create tools and programs to better define, understand, and activate Thorn’s current and prospective audiences.
- Collaboratively develop clear success metrics connecting marketing, PR, and communications efforts to measurable business results, at both the brand and product level.
- Develop marketing systems, tools, metrics and processes to drive transparency and optimization
- Serve as a key business partner to all cross-functional business leaders, understanding the distinct marketing needs of each function and the key role each plays in Thorn’s overall success.
- Serve as a thought leader within the organization.
- Be Thorn’s lead storyteller, representing the organization with a passion and clarity that reflects our commitment to our mission and tells our story with respect to all our partners, and every child we serve.
- Build strong relationships across the industry and issue landscape to facilitate co-marketing opportunities that support business goals.
- Provide thoughtful guidance, strong leadership development, mentorship and coaching for a team of multi-disciplinary marketers.
- Be a true player/coach who works alongside their team for the hands-on execution of programs.
- Oversee the growth of Thorn’s social and digital communities, innovate with new media marketing tactics and stay at the cutting edge of new, high-potential channels and platforms for our message.
- Manage operating budget for the marketing function, leveraging efficiencies wherever possible to maximize impact and minimize costs.
Skills We're Seeking:
- An unwavering commitment to putting the children we serve at the center of everything you do.
- Extensive marketing expertise (10-15 years) with an acute awareness of external market factors, and the ability to quickly learn new issues and industries.
- Prior experience building and executing successful integrated marketing and communication strategies for a start-up, early and high growth business with financial metric responsibility.
- Previous experience developing and managing a distributed team and being seen as a respected player/coach who works to bring the best out of their team and co-workers.
- Proven success developing an iconic brand and manifesting a strong creative vision into results through hands-on execution.
- Experience developing mission-driven marcom, and an appreciation for the unique value of brand power to a nonprofit’s ability to achieve its mission.
- Experience working cross-functionally in a product/service-driven organization where marketing and communications is directly tied to business results.
- Relationship ninja who is able to build trust and consensus across diverse groups with multifaceted goals.
- Team player who understands marketing as both a leadership and a service function.
- Entrepreneurial spirit who is most comfortable being innovative, willing to test new ideas, tackle difficult subjects, and challenge normalized perceptions.
- Effective, persuasive and passionate communicator across all media.
- Passion for building a department, and an organization you believe in.
- Humility and integrity in all actions.
- Positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.