Wintermute is a leading market maker of digital assets globally. We manage hundreds of millions in assets and trade more than $1B+/day across dozens of different trading platforms. Culturally, we combine 1) the best-in-class trading and technology professionalism coming from 70+ years of combined team’s expertise in traditional HFT companies like Optiver and 2) technology startup culture, as we are moving very fast and empowering people to act like owners.
Wintermute provides liquidity algorithmically across most vested exchanges in crypto, across CeFi and DeFi, on-screen and OTC, as well as supporting high profile blockchain projects. At Wintermute, we believe in the decentralization of finance and we believe that trading companies of the future are technology companies, not financial services providers.
Wintermute is a proprietary trading business. We are a Series B highly profitable startup backed by Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures and other top tier investors. Learn more about our team and culture on our website and Evgeny’s post here.
Nature of the role
We are a hyper-growth startup in one of the most dynamic industries today. We are looking for a Head of Mid Office and TradeOps who has all the depth of expertise of traditional financial markets and can easily adapt to the entrepreneurial, varied and highly dynamic nature of a startup business.
In this role you will assume complete ownership and accountability of the Middle Office and Trading Operations function and will work directly with the Management Team and Trading.
- Build a highly efficient Middle office function with the goal of 1) creating scalable trade reconciliations process able of processing millions trades a day, 2) efficiently handle a large number of settlements that is growing exponentially
- Ensure company is audit-ready from the trading revenue point of view across multiple products, subsidiaries and geographies
- Work with the development and trading teams to automate as many processes and operations as possible
- Proactively identify, initiate and execute strategic and operational improvements that would have substantial impact on the company, in terms of costs saving, minimizations of errors and time spent by traders on solving tradeops issues
- Manage loan capital financing: from cost of capital optimization to loan reconciliation and reporting processes
- Work with finance/accounting functions to closely align on all processes and eliminate any inefficiencies
- Work with finance/legal/compliance to proactively identify and act on regulatory and compliance implications across multiple products and jurisdictions
- Work closely with the Management team, understand the strategy and growth plans of the company and proactively translate them in business-critical improvements
Hard Skills Requirements
- BSc in business/finance/quant
- 5+ years of experience in Middle Office/Trade Operations function in a financial services company with high-volume and complex operations (multiple products, multiple geographies, financial regulations); experience in an hft/market making business is a significant advantage
- Excellent Excel skills; experience with databases/SQL/reading and writing simple Python scripts would be a significant advantage
- Experience designing and executing new processes - this may be inside a larger firm but has to be value-creation with measurable results; experience with automation and technology would be a significant advantage
- Strong interest and curiosity in blockchain, crypto and DeFi
- Owner mentality: you focus on ultimate result (short and long-term P&L for the company), focus on strategically growing the business for the future and understand the overall business beyond own functional expertise
- You are ready to build things yourself and a lot of hands-on work; you should be comfortable working in a very non-hierarchical organization without necessarily having direct reports
- Determination, ambition yet humility; ability to both influence others and listen/ learn from others
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Drive to do whatever it takes to get things done; ability to find creative yet highly professional and compliant solutions to complex tasks
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset vs 9-to-5 mentality; prepared to work non-standard working hours (since we are a high-growth startup operating in 24/7 crypto world)
- Like working in the team environment working from our London office (as much as Covid limitations allow)
- A unique opportunity to join one of the fastest growing companies in crypto as a senior member of the team and to take on personal ownership and accountability
- Very interesting projects in the most dynamic finance industry: a level of learning and responsibilities that is hard for any traditional trading company/bank/hedge fund to match
- Great company culture: informal, non-hierarchical, ambitious, highly professional yet dynamic, collaborative, entrepreneurial
- Aligned incentive structure: a significant part of your compensation is equity package and performance-based bonus
Tips for Successful Application
- Only apply to us if you are genuinely interested or curious about this role and the space; this is not for someone who is just looking for "a job" or is looking to maximize short-term fixed salary
- Do your research on what we do
- Write us a short, honest, and direct message if you'd like to apply; tell us about why you are interested in Wintermute and in this role in particular.
- Do not send us generic copy paste applications, we are looking for authentic people who share our interests, values and ambitions
- We get a lot of applications, so unfortunately, we won't be able to proceed if you don't make your case clear