Gusto is making the most complicated, impersonal business tasks simple and personal. Imagine payroll that brings everyone peace of mind, HR that transforms work into a community, and benefits that help people plan for a better future. That’s what we’re building at Gusto.
We’re looking for a strong, motivated, and creative engineer to lead our Payroll engineering efforts. Payroll is our core product at Gusto, and as a lead on this team, you’ll be given full autonomy over everything payroll-related as you scale what payroll engineering means at Gusto.
Here’s what you'll do:
- Lead and mentor our entire Payroll engineering team: Help scale billions of dollars in payroll for more than 30,000 companies!
- Own everything payroll related from improving tax automation to partnering closely with our Customer Experience and PayOps teams
- Plan and prioritize our Payroll engineering roadmap
- Actively develop, test, and deploy Payroll features across the entire stack alongside your teammates
- Take on intriguing and complex informational and performance challenges: Expanding customer base, security of Personally Identifiable Information (PII), application performance, moving off third party systems, and evolving our architecture for scale and maintainability
- Help scale our tax filings and payments system to handle over 7,000 tax codes interfacing with thousands of agencies
- Maintain an extremely high quality bar. “Move fast and break things” doesn’t apply to payroll. Even a small error can cause tax notices, fines, and headaches for our clients
- Ensure an amazing payroll experience for both small and large customers. Payroll is the entry point that introduces the Gusto brand and is used by every single customer before they start using other additional features and services
- Partner with recruiting to help scale the Payroll team by actively sourcing and closing new talent
- Bring out the best in the individuals on your team by enabling them to do the best work of their lives
Here's what we're looking for:
- 7+ years industry experience in software engineering, with considerable full-stack experience
- 3+ years of management experience
- Strong coding, design, and architectural skills
- Comfortable with ambiguity and rapid change: excited about pushing out lots of code quickly and constantly iterating
- Thorough and methodical: you enjoy working with data and using it to make informed business decisions
- Empathetic and user-focused: you care deeply about the product experience, you understand users’ motivations and frustrations, and you genuinely want to help them
- Empathetic and employee-focused: you care deeply about the people in your team, helping them to achieve their personal and professional goals, and enabling them to do the best work of their lives
- Experience working in our stack (Ruby on Rails, React.js) and with Billing and Payments is a plus, but not required
Gusto’s mission is to create a world where work empowers a better life. Our product aims to enable businesses of all sizes to create great places to work -- where employers and employees prosper together. We do this by rethinking employee work experiences from the ground up, from employee onboarding and welcome, to getting paid, benefits, performance reviews, and more.
Find out why we’re the #1 place to work in San Francisco! To learn more about our values, life at Gusto, benefits, and perks, visit gusto.com/careers.
Gusto was also featured on Breakout List for our strong revenue growth and potential.
Gusto has offices in San Francisco and Denver and its investors include Google Capital, General Catalyst, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, and the founders of Instagram, Stripe, Nest, PayPal, Yelp, Dropbox, and Eventbrite, among others.