We’re ABODO.com, a venture-backed, Madison, WI startup on a mission to make apartment hunting effortless. Our online listing service has been making waves since 2013, but we’re out to give renters an unparalleled experience in searching for their next new place. You’ll play a critical role in delivering the product every renter has dreamed of!
When determining what to do, we start with what is best for our customer. That can be hard, but we refuse to settle. Instead, we innovate to deliver magical experiences as we deeply believe renters deserve new innovations in this space. The role demands great technical depth, contrarian and principled thinking, experienced product judgment, a stubborn refusal to settle, bold innovation, a high design bar and a mentality of starting with the renter and working backwards. Many companies talk about being customer-focused, but we are customer obsessed. We are relentless in figuring out what matters to our customers and then doing everything in our power to deliver it.
What you'll be doing
- Internalize and deeply understand ABODO’s mission and strategies, while immersing yourself with empathy for renters in a stagnant space.
- Distill vision and strategy for the company, get everyone so excited they’ll be entering animated gifs in slack.
- Be incredibly truth-seeking. Collect whatever data is necessary to inform product direction, whether in the form of competitive intel, renter behavior or other business metrics. Solicit and embrace critical feedback.
- Drive innovation, definition, deliverables planning (roadmap) and design of entirely new ABODO products and product features to deliver against company goals. Requires challenging all members of cross-functional teams (engineering, design, etc.) to think boldly and creatively and then to funnel that energy into concrete products and execution plans.
- Refine existing product features to uncover their hidden maximum potential.
- Monitor and measure launched products and feed learnings back into product development process.
- Clearly communicate product plans, benefits and results, as appropriate, to a spectrum of audiences, possibly from the Board of Directors to all ABODO employees.
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for
- A computer science undergraduate degree or equivalent plus hands-on software engineering experience. Technical understanding must go from the highest abstractions down to the metal.
- 5+ years experience delivering highly successful and innovative consumer Internet products with your fingerprints all over them - you’re extremely proud of what you’ve accomplished
- Stellar design instincts and product taste
- A high bar across the board - from your own contributions to the people you work with to the products you work on.
- Leadership personality - biased toward action, great collaborator and master disambiguator/simplifier - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery.
- Grittiness. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on, you persevere when others fall away.
- Data Chops: you just go get the data you need with no muss/fuss and can whip it into an insightful story with no help. You know how to leverage data to make decisions without getting stuck in analysis paralysis.
- Empathy - The ability to make your problems the same problems renters have.
- A never-ending desire to grow and learn.
- A strong entrepreneurial bent. An unquenchable desire to help ABODO be the best apartment marketplace in the world.
We’re a passionate, 25-member team, that spend most our time figuring out how to solve the problems renters face when trying to find a new home.
Our passion and dedication quickly made us one of the fastest growing startups in the state of Wisconsin, with backing from two of the largest Venture Capital firms in the Midwest.
We work out of the original offices of ‘The Onion’ in downtown Madison, a pet-friendly office where meetings, bureaucracy, and hierarchy are abhorred, and building and solving problems are what matter above all else.
When we’re not working, you’ll find us at the Echo Tap across the street (‘Conference Room E’ as it’s known internally), on the volleyball court for our weekly company game, or at Badger sporting events.
Ultimately, what ABODO offers is a dynamic workplace where your work will be vital to helping a venture-backed, rapidly growing startup expand a validated business model to the rest of the country.
PERKS OF WORKING FOR ABODO
- Ground floor opportunity with the team; shape the strategic direction of the company.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that millions of users are using the product you built.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment
- Laid back work environment/schedule
- Casual Dress Code
- Fun, Vibrant, Enthusiastic Company Culture
- Open Vacation Policy (you take vacation whenever you want)
- Unlimited free coffee, soda, and snacks
- Games, Fun, Parties & More