Lightstep enables teams to detect and resolve regressions quickly, regardless of system scale or complexity. We integrate seamlessly into daily workflows, whether you are proactively optimizing performance or investigating a root cause so you can quickly get back to building features. We continue to grow our talented, low-ego, team! We believe that we should always align our actions toward a common purpose, that trust is paramount and must be cultivated, that the most valuable team members multiply rather than add, and that we shouldn’t take ourselves too seriously (except when we’re writing way-too-long sentences about our values). We believe that assembling and retaining an inclusive and diverse team is the best way to grow a successful company.
Lightstep is looking for a Head of Product Design to lead and grow our amazing design team. At Lightstep, cross-functional partnerships and collaboration is crucial to our success. Design is an equal partner to engineering and product and works closely across all departments to do discovery, define the problem, and develop the right solutions together.
About the team
Lightstep’s Product Design team is small but mighty! The team has several years of experience in the observability space and love the information design challenges of a product like Lightstep. We turn complex technical workflows, like root cause analysis, deployments, and alerting into delightful, effective experiences that help developers solve real problems. We are constantly mindful of the design principles we have developed and use them to inform our designs.
We strive to balance pragmatism with vision in our work and process. We iterate in small cycles, getting feedback from our peers and from customers along the way. We work tirelessly to ensure that every design technique we use delivers real value in our product development process. Finally, we run ~quarterly north star exercises to ensure that everything we’re building fits together.
We are a distributed team, with team members in San Francisco and Portland, OR.
Here’s what you would do here…
- Build, manage and coach a thriving team of designers
- Ensure that every designer has the tools and support they need to improve their skills and processes and help them grow in their careers
- Work closely with the Head of Product and Head of Engineering to design the organization, create shared processes, inform staffing decisions, keep our teams healthy, and ensure the organization is working on the highest value projects
- Work closely with the Head of Marketing to help build our brand and ensure all marketing design assets are cohesive and tell a clear story end-to-end
- Work with designers and cross-functional partners to plan and run quarterly north star design exercises to ensure that everything we’re building fits together and aligns with product strategy
- Partner with engineering to ensure the continued success of our design system
- Foster creativity and a safe, supportive environment
- Seek and maintain operational excellence
You’d be a great addition if…
- You communicate with radical honesty, clarity and inspiration
- You have experience collaborating across departments (especially Product, Engineering, and Marketing)
- You work well in an ego-free, highly collaborative, and fast-paced environment
- You are structured, thorough, and methodical in your approach to leading organizations
- You possess deep empathy for customers
- You are obsessed with the health and happiness of your team (and yourself)
- You are biased toward growth and continuous learning
- You have experience leading the design process from problem definition to implementations, using data to gain insights that help improve the process
- You have expert knowledge in UX, user research, and product design methods
- You have experience building out and maintaining a design system
- You know how to get the most out of your team through mentoring and coaching
- You are self-directed and comfortable with ambiguity
- You have a track record of successfully working with creatives and cross-functional roles
- You have an outstanding portfolio that showcases your design process, with examples executed by yourself and by a team that produced impactful business outcomes
- You have 3+ years of experience managing design teams
- You have 8+ years in Product Design
Bonus points if…
- You have domain experience (e.g. data insights, monitoring, analytics, developer tools)
- You have technical experience, or you have demonstrated ability to understand complex problem domains
- You have background in building and maintaining a brand