Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission driven, FDIC insured, and designed for the way our customers live their lives.
We're on a mission to bring financial inclusion and opportunity to all hard-working Americans. Through our mobile app, we offer premium bank accounts that have no minimum balance requirement or monthly account fees, high-interest savings accounts, short term lending and solutions to help customers stretch their paycheck, build credit and start saving. Our tech-first products are designed to make money work for everyone and help customers and communities build greater financial resiliency.
Varo is distinct from other fintechs: we've made history as the first and only consumer fintech to be granted a full national bank charter by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC).
Varo Bank represents the evolution of a new generation of banks that are born from innovation and built on technology to empower consumers and businesses.
Our team combines the best of both consumer tech and banking, and we’re wildly passionate about helping our customers. Our teams are based in San Francisco and Salt Lake City. Privately held, we’ve raised over $482M to date, from leading institutional investors and strategic partners including Warburg Pincus, The Rise Fund, Gallatin Point Capital, Harbourvest Partners, Progressive Insurance, and Russell Westbrook Enterprises.
Varo is entrepreneurial, collaborative, enthusiastic, customer-oriented, fast-paced, and multicultural. This is an open and relatively flat organization that puts an emphasis on collaboration, sharing ideas and information. For a relatively early stage company, Varo is grounded in a strong set of values and takes pride in the diversity of its employees and board.
Varo. A bank for all of us.
ABOUT THE BRAND TEAM
What are we doing?
What we do goes beyond money - we believe that when people have a healthier relationship with their money, it provides them with the foundation to create a healthier relationship with themselves, and with all of those closest to them.
Our ultimate goal?
To make Varo the most loved, trusted, respected, and recommended brand in banking.
How do we do that?
By creating a culturally relevant, inclusive brand, and sharing the heart- and mind-opening stories that are shared with us, every day, by our courageous, confident, passionate, creative and hard-working customers.
ABOUT THE HEAD OF PUBLIC RELATIONS AND CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS ROLE
This key contributor will provide thought-leadership for proactive and reactive messaging strategies, and direct the development of comprehensive messaging platforms. Specific areas of ownership include consumer PR & media relations, corporate communications, industry narrative, corporate reputation, and internal communications.
The successful candidate will have a proven track-record of developing and executing B2B and B2C communications programs for a leading consumer brand; as well as building and leading high-performance internal and external teams in a hyper-growth environment. He/she is a master storyteller and cultural interpreter, anticipating trends and having a clear vision for where Varo’s messaging should go; while being flexible, resilient, and able to thrive within a rapidly growing company as we redefine and shape an industry.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Develop the vision, structure and plan for the communications division; setting bold goals and empowering the team to deliver against them
- Work closely with leadership to develop and execute an corporate communications strategy that will successfully reinforce the company’s drive our key narratives and shape our brand
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization; work with leadership team and staff to proactively recognize external communication opportunities and solutions
- Identify key milestones, cultural trends and other news-making opportunities and determine strategies to harness and activate them
- Develop strong and trusted relationships with members of the executive leadership team and act as counsel for external communications
- Lead development of crisis communications plan and guide external communications readiness plans around unplanned issues that may impact the company
- Lead collaboration with cross functional teams including product, technology, operations and risk/audit to proactively engage them on communications content and media opportunities
- Accountable for setting PR and CC goals and reporting out on metrics
- Accountable for departmental budget and external agency performance
- Actively seek out, build and manage new platforms for strategic communications and media engagement
- Attract, acquire and retain top talent; and lead a high-performing communications team
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and inspirational, with demonstrated ability to work well under pressure with all groups while addressing people courageously, directly and candidly
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related field required, MBA preferred
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE THAT'LL HELP YOU BE GREAT
- Track record of transitioning from business/industry relations to driving top-tier consumer press
- Track record of national PR activations, including A-list celebrity endorsement PR, for major consumer brand(s)
- Inspiring and ensuring the best performance from external PR agencies
- Data-based approach to measuring the impact of PR and tying it to business objectives
- 12+ years corporate communications and public relations experience, major consumer brands preferred
- Progressive success in developing comprehensive, strategic communications programs
- Solid experience in managing external communications agencies
- Experience with internal communications programs
- Action-orientation balanced with effective partnerships across the organization
- Exemplary composure and executive presence
- Outstanding verbal and written skills, with the ability to present data and conclusions in an organized, concise manner at all levels throughout the company
Varo is entrepreneurial, collaborative, enthusiastic, customer-oriented, fast-paced, and multicultural. This is an open and relatively flat organization that puts an emphasis on collaboration, sharing ideas and information. For a relatively early stage company, Varo is grounded in a strong set of values and takes pride in the diversity of its employees.
OUR CORE VALUES
Customers First: Understand the problems our customers are trying to solve. Respond with a sense of urgency. Build relationships that result in loyalty. Be data and insights-driven. Test everything. Achieve results through strong execution. Build a product people love. Assess new initiatives with the customers’ interest in mind. Act with empathy.
Take Ownership: Bias towards action. Have high standards. Be accountable for the results of your work, our product, our company. Trust others to own it.
Respect: Treat others how you want to be treated. Listen first before being heard. Speak the truth even when it's not easy. Assume best intentions. Bring your full self to work.
Stay Curious: Ask why. Dare to make things better. Learn something new each day (even from mistakes). Be open to growth. Develop creative solutions.
Make it Better: Think big. Set high goals. Work towards long term value rather than short term wins. Create change. Be resilient.
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Learn more about Varo by following us:
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail [email protected]
with the pertinent information and contact information.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.