Planned Parenthood Los Angeles is seeking an experienced part-time Health Promoter (5 days per week, 12pm-4pm) with excellent communication and customer service skills to work in our Downtown Los Angeles Headquarters. The Health Promoter is uniquely qualified as a health worker who will educate the parent and adult community through community-based and/or partner organizations or schools by conducting outreach and curriculum-based health education workshops for Black Communities on sexuality and reproductive health and overall wellbeing.
Over one hundred years ago, Planned Parenthood was founded on the idea that everyone should have the information and care they need to live strong, healthy lives and fulfill their dreams. Founded 52+ years ago, Planned Parenthood Los Angeles is one of the largest providers of reproductive health care services in Los Angeles County. The Planned Parenthood Los Angeles (PPLA) team works together to provide high-quality, affordable reproductive health care to women, men, and young people across Los Angeles County. At PPLA, you will discover a culture of like-minded individuals who are eager to make positive contributions to their community and to the Planned Parenthood mission.
Our Ideal Candidate will have the following qualifications:
- High school diploma, GED, or 5+ years’ experience in reproductive health, family planning or related health field
- Candidates must have experience working with or familiarity with the Black community
- Experience in outreach or field work throughout the community in areas such as schools, community centers, churches, etc.
- Must have good communication skills with an aptitude for public speaking
- Ability to facilitate presentations to diverse groups
- Ability to deal with and speak in public about sensitive topics including comprehensive sexuality, STIs, FDA approved birth control methods, substance abuse
- Commitment to and strong interest in helping people regardless of gender, sexual orientation, nationality, age, race, ethnicity, immigration or socio-economic status
- Ability to provide outreach and networking in their communities and willingness to travel
- Must have knowledge and understanding of the needs of the community, schools, and community partners they serve
- Ability to work independently and manage time to complete goals by due date
- Must be able to meet Los Angeles County background check requirements via Live Scan fingerprint clearance
- Must supply documentation of completed negative TB test prior to start
About the position:
- Provide education in sexuality and reproductive health and substance abuse prevention to the community following the curriculum and guides designed for the LACDPH SWBC
- With supervisor approval, identify and participate in community outreach, events, and activities to promote sexual health, wellbeing, and PPLA’s clinical services
- Perform the services in designated area, schools, and/or community partner locations
- Maintain a resource guide at all times to provide the community with information/services available to them that may or may not be related to health
- Accuracy and attention to detail when completing administrative tasks
- Keep current of reproductive health and sexuality education and substance abuse issues, and attend any PPLA trainings and professional development workshops
- Advocate for reproductive health in various settings as needed
Generous salary and benefits package includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage options for you and eligible dependents
- Free basic life/AD&D policy with additional voluntary coverage options
- Short Term Disability, Critical Illness and Accident policies
- 403(b) Retirement plan with up to 3% employer match
- Medical and Dependent Flexible Spending Account plans
- Public Transportation and Commuter Pre-Tax Reimbursements
- Generous vacation, sick, and holiday benefits
Planned Parenthood Los Angeles is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Los Angeles County Ordinance No. 184852.