What you will be doing
Playing a key role in defining and operating some of the most complex compute platforms that the client has to bring to bear against complex problems. These systems enable complex analysis, simulation and modeling leveraging massively parallel computing and disparate holding of very large data sets, to answer difficult questions. To do this you will assist the users in deploying jobs to these systems to harness the capabilities of these systems producing answers in the form of analytic product, models and simulations. This mission enablement is the heart of the hardest problems to solve.
Who you are
You are a talented, multidiscipline engineer versed in getting the best performance out of systems. You are familiar with High Performance Computing using both CPU and GPU based systems. You understand scheduling using SLURM, computing using MPI, and operating software at scale.
• Responsible for the normal day-to-day HPC operations and maintenance of the HPC systems
• Provide day to day systems administration duties for Nvidia GPUs, Commodity Cluster Systems and Cray HPC environments
• Perform system monitoring, software installations, debug, upgrades, health checks, and identification/implementation of automated business processes
• Provide assessments, on-going performance analysis and recommendations for future architectures
• Responsible for operating all the host systems for the analysis
• Works in a liaison role, linking the analysts and their specialty codes and applications, to the computing systems that are focused on yielding in-depth technically sound results.
• Oversees analytic applications running on a clustered HPC fabric including CPU and GPU systems
• Managing job submission to clients applications and codes using MPI/OpenMPI
• Provide in-depth analytic results, to achieve a best-tool-for-the-job approach.
• Partners with data scientists, engineers, and analysts conducting specialized scientific and engineering analysis.
• Escalate issues and problems to hardware support and/or engineering management as necessary
• Responsible for continuous performance analysis and tuning the HPC environment
• Assist with the identification, troubleshooting, and repair of software problems impacting performance of implemented HPC solutions
• Perform installation of software patches including upgrades to operating systems and firmware
• Assist with the resolution of trouble tickets and software problems identified by system’s users
• Identify and expand services and functionalities offered in HPC environment
• Be a primary point of contact to resolve any hardware or software malfunctions, including working with service personnel as necessary
• Review system logs to identify and resolve software and systems related issues
• Prepare reports related to the operational efficiency of the hardware and execution of users jobs
• Experience with MPI/OpenMPI, SLURM, and Linux Operating Systems essential
• Prior experience as a Systems Administrator essential, with a preference for experience working with clustered systems including GPUs in the hardware stack
• Experience with high speed networking, and CUDA preferred
• Software integration experience a plus
• Other duties could be required to support the customer’s mission
What you will need
• Minimum of 6 years demonstrated on-the-job experience
• Demonstrated on-the-job experience with integrating functionality from disparate systems via scripting/tooling/automation
• Demonstrated on-the-job experience with the Sponsor's system security environment and requirements
• Demonstrated experience leading systems architecture, operations, maintenance and administration
Active TS/SCI with an appropriate polygraph is required to be considered for this role
Who are we?
Praxis Engineering* was founded in 2002 and is headquartered in Annapolis Junction MD - with growing offices in Chantilly VA and Aberdeen MD.
Praxis Engineering is a consulting, product, and solutions firm dedicated to the practical application of software and system engineering technologies to solve complex problems.
With over 300 employees supporting more than 50 contracts, Praxis brings together world class engineers with proven engineering best practices, domain expertise, commercial technologies and proven agile management approaches to create high value solutions aimed at helping our customers meet their most critical business and mission objectives.
*Praxis Engineering is a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics IT.
We are focused on continual learning and evolution. We don’t do things because “that’s the way we’ve always done things”; we listen to our employees and adapt to the changing marketplace. We look at the big picture and encourage our engineers to get training and certifications in emerging technologies that will help shape our customer’s mission. We've been profitable year after year. We're always on the lookout for great engineers to join the team and we recognize that our employees are the heart and soul of what we do. We focus on recruiting talented people, treating them right, and then allowing them to do what they do best. No red tape. No micromanagement. Smart people want to work with smart people, and we love people who are passionate about what they do, and finding ways to do it better.
And then there is the...
Praxis Engineering provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Enter your email address below to get notified whenever we find a similar job post.
Unsubscribe at any time.