Founded in 2004 as the principal source of music for DJs, Beatport today is the worldwide home of electronic music for DJs, producers, and their fans. The Beatport Store offers music in premium digital formats and provides unique music discovery tools created for and by DJs. Each week, Beatport's music collection is refreshed with hundreds of exclusive tracks by the world's top electronic music artists.
We’re building the next-generation platform for DJs to discover music and we need to add a member, or two, to our Infrastructure Team. Do you practice infrastructure as code? Do you believe that any task should be automated after doing it twice manually? Do you love the words stable, maintainable, reliable and scalable? If you answered yes to these questions we want to speak with you. If you can add to all of that a love of electronic music we really, really want to talk.
Some of the things you will do to make sure the music keeps playing:
- Define and implement best practices (configuration, security, automation, etc)
- Report on the state of the infrastructure and make recommendations for change as appropriate
- Working closely with the team to ensure the needs of the platform are defined and met
- Ensure sound delivery of technical services across all Beatport platform applications
- Architect, supervise, and participate in the implementation of technologies and platforms supporting highly-available complex systems in a secure manner
- Act as a subject matter expert across all product teams and advocate for making reliable technical decisions around supporting and deploying large-scale, business-critical systems in a cloud environment
- Automate the infrastructure and deployment pipelines including writing custom software as necessary
- Troubleshoot and remediate any issues impacting the operation of Beatport services
- Document the design, operation, and troubleshooting of technology platforms and procedures
- Research, test, and document new hardware & software technologies in order to formulate reliable recommendations and enable continual innovation
- Collaborate with software development teams to ensure best practices for deployments, builds, and infrastructure
- Review code and infrastructure pull requests for internal and external teams
We need you to bring these things with you:
- Expert level Linux system administration
- A happiness derived from defining and working on infrastructure as code
- Heavy and recent experience with the AWS stack (EC2, S3, ELB, ElastiCache, CloudFront, RDS, IAM, SES)
- Proven experience managing datacenter services and systems
- Previous work in a hybrid public/private cloud environment
- Experience deploying, maintaining, and scaling Web applications
- A desire to collaborate with developers to design, build, deploy, and evolve sophisticated systems
- A strong software development background (infrastructure uses Python and Bash, but we are open to the right language for the task)
- Proficiency with at least one configuration management framework (Chef, Salt, Ansible, Puppet, etc) and an opinion on their relative strengths and weaknesses
- A grasp of the Unix philosophy
- Opinions on the right way to do things, and the ability to share them respectfully and collaboratively
- Proven experience working on a distributed team
- Are able to work independently to design and implement solutions to evolving technology needs
We would be really happy if you have experience:
- Configuring, deploying, operating, and maintaining sophisticated relational databases, including replication
- Working in a Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment environment
- Operating in a highly-available distributed environment
- Using GitHub flow for infrastructure work
- Working directly with internal and external development teams to solve infrastructure needs
We offer a competitive compensation package, plenty of vacation days, and solid benefits. At Beatport you will be a part of a team that values collaboration and mentorship; we are always helping one another—someone almost always has the answer for any question you've got.
We have offices in Denver and Berlin, so being able to work collaboratively over Flowdock, Zoom and Google Hangouts is a must. Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Please send a short note introducing yourself and why this position appeals to you. Include a resume and links to any code or work samples.