Recently voted Fast Company’s #1 Most Innovative Company in Education and #28 Most Innovative Company in the world, General Assembly is a venture-backed, post Series D, NYC-based startup in our fifth year. General Assembly transforms thinkers into creators through education and opportunities in technology, business, and design. We offer classes, workshops, long-form courses, and events in worldwide markets including New York where we are headquartered, Atlanta, Austin, Denver, London, Hong Kong, Sydney, San Francisco, Singapore, Los Angeles, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Melbourne and Washington DC.. We also partner with Fortune 500 companies to spur innovation through increased digital fluency and more effective approaches to collaboration.
We are seeking an Instructor Manager. This person will be responsible for helping to manage Faculty members at General Assembly New York, with a focus on training, day-to-day management, and supporting long-term professional growth. The Instructor Manager job is a crucial role - this person is responsible for managing and coaching our best-in-class practitioners, from a variety of fields including data science, software development and design, through success in supporting excellent student experiences. Proper onboarding and training of instructors is crucial, including ensuring that all instructors complete our onboarding process, and connect with the right individuals at the global level to understand the curriculum and hone their teaching skills. Most importantly, this individual must always remember that our instructors are changing lives in the classroom each day which is an exciting but difficult challenge - so being an empathetic leader is key to the success of this role.
- Manage both FT (Immersive) and PT course instructors
- Execute on associated tasks, such as HR inquiries and conducting performance reviews (FT instructors only)
- Lead quality large group professional development
- Evaluate instructors and be accountable for instructor growth and performance
- Provide instructional coaching to campus instructors on a consistent basis
- Facilitate successful completion of all online and in-person instructor training for new and current staff
- Onboard instructors to Product and setting expectations for what success looks like in each of our Product lines
- Manage professional behavior, retention and ongoing professional development and growth of these positions
- Assist in the planning, scheduling, and hiring of instructors
Be the first line of defense for student learning issues; be responsible for mediating conflict and defusing challenging situations in a positive, empathetic and professional manner
- Work with instructors to strategize solutions for students who have unique learning needs, including the creation of student support plans or IEPs.
- Monitor and manage course quality and progress by regularly reviewing exit tickets and student surveys; formulate action plans based on data
- Participate in globals meetings with instructional counterparts across markets
- Proficient in instructional best practices such as UBD, lesson planning, differentiation, RTI, assessments, student data analysis, and the creation of strong classroom climates
- A former educator ideally with 2+ years of in higher ed (adult learning) or K-12 (experience in school leadership is a plus), and can relate to instructors as a practitioner, OR,
- A current employee of GA with demonstrated excellence in the core competencies outlined below
- Able to confidently give constructive, positive feedback to people of diverse professional and personal backgrounds.
- Highly organized and able to help manage observation, videos, and other performance documentation.
- A “growth mindset” attitude towards teaching as a craft
- High emotional intelligence; an ability to empathize with others
- Prior experience managing multiple people or teams
- Familiarity with or subject matter expertise in one or more of the disciplines we teach
- Developing direct reports and others
- Managing and measuring work
- Motivating others
- Command skills