Founded in 2008, Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can belong through healthy travel that is local, authentic, diverse, inclusive and sustainable. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace provides access to 5+ million unique places to stay in more than 81,000 cities and 191 countries. With Experiences, Airbnb offers unprecedented access to local communities and interests through 15,000 unique, handcrafted activities run by hosts across 1,000+ cities around the world. Airbnb's people-to-people platform benefits all its stakeholders, including hosts, guests, employees and the communities in which it operates.
In order to build the world's most loved travel company, we need the world's most interesting and talented people. Are you one of them? If so, we want to talk to you!
The Employee Experience team is seeking a dedicated, senior strategic communicator to lead internal communication amongst our Technology teams.
Internal communications team members partner with leaders and executives to set the vision, craft the narrative of each team, and help leaders articulate their roadmaps. You will work with Technology team members on communications initiatives, projects, and programs as well as change management initiatives. You will design strategic communications campaigns—innovating ways to engage technical teams.
In this role you will closely partner with our Chief Technology Officer on their overall transformation narrative and support all communications and engagement initiatives to drive business results. You'll be leading internal communications for all technical functions: Engineering, Data Science, Infrastructure. Responsible for shaping and communicating the technical strategy and helping define the team’s culture—collaborating on events, and programs. You will distill complex topics into compelling messages, build creative campaigns, write clear content, and provide trusted coaching to Technical Leaders.
You possess incredible emotional intelligence. You anticipate the needs of others and work tirelessly to create an environment of open and honest communications, always making sure the Airbnb core values are instilled. You’re creative and resourceful and have an eye for detail. You’re an excellent writer, visual communicator, and project manager. You build relationships quickly across all levels.
- You’ll partner closely with executive technical leadership at the company to develop an internal communications strategy and vision that enables the successful rollout of our technical strategy—coaching leaders in:
- business storytelling
- becoming better communicators
- executing compelling narratives around change
- role modelling our Core Values
- Create, edit, and collaborate on communications (including leadership offsites) for Technology at Airbnb. You will customize communications to a deeply technical audience, understand how to ‘speak their language’ and gain their buy in.
- Create and provide project management for the tech communications calendar, including internal meetings and announcements.
- Provide communications consulting, both strategic and tactical, partnering with leaders on all internal facing communication to build out thoughtful plans to support their initiatives.
- An essential and trusted partner to leaders, providing regular feedback and coaching them to more effectively communicate, build trust, and cascade with context.
- Drive change thoughtfully, coming up with extremely creative, mission-centered change management solutions.
- Build and execute on highly innovative, internal communications strategies and messages that engage Airbnb employees across the globe.
- Improve cross-team communications and knowledge management within Tech.
- Collaborate with Public Relations, Global Ground Control, Learning, and Talent teams to execute programs happening in the Tech space.
- Develop inside out strategies that leverage the Airbnb community.
- Measure communications efforts for their effectiveness.
- Improve upon existing communication channels and practices.
- Based in SF with travel to South Bay, Seattle, Beijing and any future technical offices.
- Proven experience:
- Overseeing technical communications programs, comms strategies, planning, and execution across large teams in fast-paced environments.
- Developing standards, tools, programs, and templates for global adoption.
- Identifying communication issues and solving problems using judgment and analysis, providing communications guidance and support.
- Turning complex information into relevant, engaging, timely and valuable content for employees.
- Designing communications for a technical audience with a strong attention to data and detail
- 15+ years of experience in communications, with cross-functional leadership, working with C-level technology executives and in technology industries.
- 5+ years working with engineers and deep intuition into how to connect with engineers.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, with a knack for simplifying complex topics to their essence and making them relevant to our audiences.
- Hands on position, you will roll up your sleeves every day in this team.
- Finger on the pulse of communication tools, resources and trends -- you know how to effectively leverage a toolkit appropriate for a fast-growing global tech company.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to prioritize for a global team and balance competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess strong sense of urgency in driving projects to completion.
- A master at influencing leaders, while being obsessed with clear messaging and elegant at navigating competing priorities and ambiguity.
- Crisis management experience, and track record of counseling top executives.
- Passion for Airbnb’s mission.