The Zebra’s Communications team is looking for a professional to help highlight our internal assets to external audiences. This isn't your typical "internal comms" role where you're speaking only to our execs and employees. This role takes a little bit from internal communications, content management and public relations. The InternalCommunications Manager will be a critical collaborator with a multitude of leaders across the company - both at the executive level and “lowercase L” leaders - to bring their stories, advice and accomplishments to life. The primary responsibility in this role will be to maintain a complex calendar of content (written and video) from these stakeholders and publishing it regularly, with strategy defining the optimal mix of content. They will also source and lead all opportunities to submit the company, employees, and projects across all departments for industry-leading awards and speaking opportunities.
Please note - all new hires must be able to relocate to Austin, Texas by the time of their start date.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Build and maintain a robust communications program highlighting the company’s leadership, technology and capabilities and manage distribution channels for the program (blog, social)
- Work with multiple leaders at the company to source content for the program, both written and video
- Maintain calendar and administrative organization of scheduling and ensure program is diverse in topics, mediums, and subjects
- Serve as a partner and inspiration to help content creators come up with unique topics aligned to company/program goals
- Source and submit for both company-wide and department-specific awards; maintain calendar, budget and cadence for all submissions
- Prepare briefing documents for speaking opportunities and aid in coaching and helping speakers practice, if needed
- Communicating with teammates (PR, Social, HR) to help promote secured speaking engagements and awards won to the company and external audiences
- Keep a close ear on the ground for opportunities to tell employees’ stories: attend ERG meetings, help educate employees on when to share wins and communicate your role often, sharing how it helps amplify and evangelizes the value our employees’ stories bring to our company culture
- When appropriate, pitch certain pieces of content as bylined articles to media outlets
- Maintain tracking and reporting on program goals
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Approximately 5 years in the workforce in a Communications or Content focused line of work
- Experience working well with internal collaborators, whether in internal communications, public relations, or content creation
- Self starter. This role is new for the company and you have the freedom and responsibility to elevate it to the highest level of performance. Must be comfortable making recommendations and defending selected goals and KPIs
- Understanding of interesting, novel and “click-worthy” content to elevate our company’s status and reputation in the tech industry as a whole
- Patience and the heart of an educator: constantly helping communicate the end-goal of the program to stakeholders who know nothing about content creation or media worthiness
- A buttoned up professional who never misses deadlines, can communicate clearly and adjust strategy in real time to reach goals
- Organized to the max, able to create dashboards, calendars, sort content into categories of your choosing and most importantly: share all of this at a moment’s notice in formats anyone can understand
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Proven track record of placing executives in high-profile speaking engagements nationwide
- Speech writing experience for conferences or keynotes
- Editing skills for written work
- Technical/engineering/product know-how, enough to be able to “speak the language” when mining interesting content ideas or submitting for awards
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Commuter Benefits (up to $100/month)
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Onsite Full Service Barista
- Wednesday Catered Lunch + Fully Stocked Fridges
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation's leading, independent insurance comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares multiple insurance companies and provides agent support and educational resources to ensure consumers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their home and auto insurance. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 — it's "insurance in black and white."
The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., The New York Times, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Local and national publications have named The Zebra as a Best Place to Work, including Austin Business Journal in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, The Austin American-Statesman in 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2020 and Inc. Magazine on their nationally-recognized list from 2018-2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**