Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about
what this can mean for you.
In 2020 and 2021, Internal Solutions (IS) is changing from a mostly generalist team to providing more specialized impact to Shopify. You’ll lead the teams shipping these programs. Important context: changing IS generalists to become IS specialists isn’t going to happen overnight. For some individuals and programs, this might be an easy switch. For others, it will be longer. Your opportunity is identifying the most impactful specialized programs and leaning into those now. The others can be built more slowly over time. Programs may come and go as Shopify’s needs change: your role will be using your context, research, and gut to pivot in order to meet Shopify’s needs. This means the makeup of your program teams will change over time as well, #thriveonchange.
You aren’t expected to be a subject matter expert in the programs your teams take on. Instead, your role is to guide the overall strategy of the programs, ensure programs are providing value to Shopify, unblock your team, and support team members in becoming subject matter experts and developing their own program management skills.
In addition to programs, you’ll collaborate with the other IS wings to support their success and contribute to IS team-wide initiatives. As a member of and advocate for Team IO, you will act as a representative for the team and may contribute to IO-wide initiatives within your city or region.
What you will do:
- Identify impactful programs to Shopify and how IS can help solve these problems
- Build strong program teams, including creating new roles and hiring candidates as needed
- Build out guidelines on what makes an impactful program on IS: what is the special sauce the best program teams have? What specialized skills are needed to help level up programs? How can the program teams learn these skills as a part of their development?
- Empower program managers, specialists, and your other direct reports to lead their programs and teams.
What it takes and who you are:
- Creative teamwork: we’re building something brand new from scratch. You’ll push the team to be creative in reimagining our programs and will work together to find the best idea in the room to get there (which means the best idea is not yours).
- Passion for providing impact through remote and digital experiences: The majority of Shopify will work remotely. You’ll lead your teams through providing world-class remote/digital offerings. You’ll advocate and provide services for Shopifolk in all of our major areas across time zones and countries.
Program areas your team may work on:
- Onboarding Logistics
- Operational Experiences
- Information Management
- Merchandise Logistics
- Whatever else you determine will be impactful to Shopify
Possible members of your team:
- Program Specialists, Program Coordinators. Note the opportunity for this role to lead leads as depth increases across programs.
This posting will close on November 3rd at 10AM EST . We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We look forward to reading your application! Please address your cover letter to Chantale.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community today by clicking here
to learn more about Shopify.