Do you believe that great tools can make a team great? Do you revel in finding the missing gaps in an organization and filling them with software? Do you want to work with an incredibly smart engineering organization, and set it up for success? We’re building our team from the bottoms up, and we strongly believe that a great team can get even better if everybody has the right tools at his or her disposal — that’s where you come in.
We’re searching for strong, friendly, flexible, and seasoned people to expand our Internal Tools engineering team. The ideal candidate will have experience building full stack web applications — everything from backends in Python to web front ends using React and Redux. You have a passion for talking to customers, figuring out their real needs, and iterating quickly. Your job is to figure out what tools are needed to make the organization even more productive, build them, deploy them, introduce them to the team, and then go build the next one. This role will be measured by how productive our entire organization is.
We're looking for somebody who asks a lot of questions, is confident not knowing everything, and is more likely to ask for help and collaborate than go it alone. You need to be crisp and detailed oriented, and willing to own an outcome and run with it, without somebody telling you exactly how to get there. We believe that is what it takes to build a high performing team.
What will you be doing?
- Work closely with all teams to understand needs, distill requests down, come up with a plan, get buy-in, and implement it in our Pittsburgh office.
- Ensure the success of every person within our team by making sure that he or she has the right tools for the job.
- Write web applications and services that tackle specific needs of the organization. You will make on-boarding, internal communications, and financial services easier by building data exploration and analysis tools.
- Automate common workflows to tie together legacy, third party, and other internal systems.
- Provide day-to-day support for a technically strong user base on these internal tools.
What experience are we looking for?
- BS in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years in web application development.
- Experience with ES6, React, Redux, Webpack.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a customer facing attitude to help figure out requirements of all teams; and
- Strong skills in process, documentation, and change management.
Here are the kinds of skills we're looking for:
Fast learner. We’re looking for team members who thrive on applying their knowledge, learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. You should be able to adapt easily to meet the rapid pace of a rapidly evolving research, development, and testing environment.
Fearlessness. You think a working proof-of-concept is the best way to make a point. You strive on proving that speed and quality are not conflicting; that you can achieve both at the same time.
Versatility. In addition to having an intimate knowledge of core engineering fields, you understand how all the pieces fit together into integrated systems, and how they impact performance.
Passion. You feel ownership over everything you ship; you'd never call code or design "released" until you’re confident it’s correct. You pride yourself on efficient monitoring, strong documentation, and proper test coverage.
A team player. You believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
Design and business acumen. You understand requirements beyond the written word and how your technical contributions will influence the viability of future products. Whether you’re working on a software library used by other developers, a sensor to be retrofitted on a test vehicle, or a printed circuit to be mass produced, the other members of the team can depend on the quality of your work to rapidly advance our goals.
The Uber Advanced Technologies Center is the Pittsburgh division of the Uber Engineering Team. We are a high performing team that is marked by fearlessness and hyper-productivity. We focus on the development of key long-term technologies that advance Uber’s mission of bringing safe and reliable transportation to everyone, everywhere.
As an Uber ATC team member, you’ll have a direct impact on the development of these technologies. Do you dream about changing the world? Then, you should apply to join our team. We are ambitious, engaged, and excited about disrupting the transportation industry across the world. We are moving real assets and real people. Our research will make this process safer and more efficient now and in the decades to come.
- Employees are given Uber credits every month.
- The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We’re not just another social web app, we’re moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally.
- Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment.
- 401(k) plan, gym reimbursement, paid company holidays and Uber credits.
- Full medical/dental/vision package to fit your needs.
- Unlimited vacation policy; work hard and take time when you need it.
We're bringing Uber to every major city in the world. We need brains and passion to make it happen and to make it happen in style.