Khan Academy is looking for an awesome individual to own our strategy and expand our mission internationally -- specifically to the Asian Pacific region, namely Australia and Philippines as two immediate markets of focus.
KA’s mission is to create a world-class education for anyone, anywhere. While our headquarters are based in California, we have a global presence with nearly 15 million learners in 190 countries who complete over 4 million exercises on our platform every day. Our mission is bold and ambitious, and we need your help and expertise to make it happen.
We’re fun, quirky people at heart who come from a wide range of backgrounds. Our team includes industry leaders from Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Pixar, Fog Creek, and tiny startups, as well as people with non-traditional backgrounds who didn’t graduate from college. Together, we’re a small but elite team, deeply invested in your future. We believe that no organization will be as invested in developing you as a professional.
We are growing Khan Academy’s presence outside of our main US market! To date, we have placed big bets on key markets (Latin America, India, China), but there is a world of new markets to explore and unlock the potential for, and that’s where you come in:
Help Khan Academy grow in this new region by increasing our understanding of how to drive users growth in these markets. To do that, you will need to have strong strategic, research, analytics, planning, partnerships, communications skills. Effectively, you have equal parts visionary entrepreneur and meticulous executor.
Your goals are 2 fold:
- Primarily, you will learn, formulate and execute collaboratively on an end-to-end strategy to develop a plan to grow KA’s user audiences in Philippines and Australia (APAC) leveraging product, content, partnerships, funding.
- Secondarily, you will serve as a generalist who deeply research, analyze potential for KA’s expansion in new markets like Indonesia and others in the region and even beyond.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Work cross-functionally across Khan Academy with our Content, Mobile, Communications, Sustainability, Programs, Marketing, and Internationalization Teams to align on research, strategy, resourcing, and execution timelines to deliver the best possible local product to learners.
- Identifying, acquiring and managing partnerships to increase usage growth (e.g., telecommunications companies, web portals, corporations, governments) in NUEM.
- Formulate insightful research reports and strategic plans for unexplored markets that leverage diverse sources of external and internal data.
- 8-10 years of work experience, preferably someone who has existed in both a lean start up environment and has had previous experience in consulting, business development or partnership management at an organization with global presence.
- Has had at least 2-3 years of experience working with Philippines and Australia -- other parts of APAC or SEA a plus!
- An entrepreneurial mindset, including comfort with ambiguity, a penchant for experimentation, bias towards data-driven action, thoughtful and meticulous execution and conviction about decisions.
- Exceptional relationship management and influencing skills, both with senior leadership in large organizations, and internal stakeholders
- A strong We vs. Me team player who focuses on getting things done without an ego. You take pride in the work of the team as a whole and are not shy about celebrating others’ success.
- A proven track record of cross-team collaboration as both strategic driver and scrappy contributor in delivering measurable results.
- Really savvy with technology, particularly web and mobile learning products
- The ability to structure, negotiate, and close complex enterprise deals, particularly with Mobile OEMs, Carriers, technology corporations
- Experience working in an international setting, travel up to 40%.
- A generalist who can easily deep dive into a given area, quickly learn
- Inquisitive, always asks why and seeks out the answers.
- Preferred but not a must: credibility in the education sphere, through work experience, association or network
- BS/BA or equivalent -- MBA is a plus, but not a must.
WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team like a for-profit!
- Highly competitive salaries and annual bonuses
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Delicious catered lunch daily plus tons of snacks and beverages
- The opportunity to work on high-impact software that's already defining the future of education
- Great location: walking distance to Caltrain and downtown Mountain View
- Awesome team events and weekly board game nights
- The ability to improve real lives
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant – we treat new hires more like co-founders
- Oh, and we offer other great benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
HOW TO APPLY
Along with your resume, please include a response to the following case study (formatting does not matter, feel free to use any approach you’d like). You may want to refer to KA’s int’l growth framework if helpful in shaping your thinking.
- 1. Provide a short analysis of the education market in Philippines, Australia and assess KA’s place in the market landscape - separate out by a direct to student audience (students and parents directly, not through a school environment) vs. an educator audience (teachers, administrator, government).
- 2: Identify 2-3 potential partnership opportunities for each of these markets for the audiences that Khan Academy cares about that will increase KA’s usage. Please acknowledge different considerations (risks, opportunities) for KA and outside organizations in forming these partnerships.
- 3. Create a presentation for each region to highlight your assessment.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.