We're on a mission to empower hard-working Americans to achieve greater financial resilience; arming them with the products and support they need to create healthy financial habits. Through our mobile app, we offer customers premium bank accounts that have no minimum balance requirement or monthly account fees, high-interest savings accounts, and solutions to build, repair, and access credit. Our state-of-the-art technology provides tech-first features to help people achieve their financial goals and manage their money more easily.
Varo is distinct from other fintechs: We've made history as the first and only consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Our unique team combines the best of tech and banking, and we’re wildly passionate about keeping our customers happy by helping them manage and grow their money. Our teams are based in San Francisco and Salt Lake City. Privately held, we've raised over $419M to date, from leading institutional investors and strategic partners including Warburg Pincus, The Rise Fund / TPG Growth, Gallatin Point Capital, Harbourvest Partners, and Progressive Insurance.
ABOUT THE INTERNAL AUDIT TEAM
Varo is building a world class Internal Audit Function and will be recognized for our customer and business focus, objectivity and value-add. As Varo’s third line of defense the Internal Audit Team will provide independent assurance on Varo’s governance, risk management practices, and internal controls. We will also conduct special advisory projects. As Varo is the first consumer fintech to get a national bank charter in the United States, we are seeking skilled and highly motivated professionals who want to be part of building a new audit function for a technology and data driven business model in a regulated financial services sector.
ABOUT THE IT AUDIT DIRECTOR
As IT Audit Director you will be responsible for the audit coverage of the following functions - Technology Department, Cyber and Info Security, Business Continuity, and information technology general controls that support financial reporting. This role will partner across the business to bring subject matter expertise, business acumen and insights to the assessment of these specialized areas. The IT Audit Director will also work closely with the Chief Auditor to establish internal audit practices for technology and information security reviews. We’re looking for an audit leader who is curious, a builder, and can collaborate effectively to help carry internal audit engagements and special projects from inception to execution, reporting and closure.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Establish the technology audit coverage at Varo
- Plan, lead, and execute audits and assessments primarily on complex technology and all its supporting processes, controls, technology risk management, data governance, and information security
- Provide credible challenge and professional skepticism to assess potential gaps or weaknesses in the internal control infrastructure to ensure risks that pose most risk to Varo are identified timely and addressed
- Establish and maintain effective business relationships with appropriate levels of management to affect necessary audit response to changes in business activities and objectives and to influence the strengthening of the control environment and risk management practices when findings arise or when impactful process improvements exist
- Employ data relevant and data driven approaches to technology audit findings
- Assess information technology general controls and application controls (ITGC) that support financial reporting and liaise with the external auditors on ITGC
- Report to internal partners, executive management, and at times to the Board, on the effectiveness of internal controls and risk management practices with recommendations to improve processes
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES THAT'LL HELP YOU BE GREAT
OTHER NICE TO HAVES
- Prior Big 4 Accounting firm experience is desired but not required
- Prior technology sector experience is preferred
- Experience managing multiple projects, in a fast-paced, high volume environment
- Able to adapt to quick changes in direction
- Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and thought-leadership
- A very high level of intellectual curiosity balanced with pragmatism
At Varo, we are committed to living our values. We hope these resonate with you.
Customers First: Understand the problems our customers are trying to solve. Respond with a sense of urgency. Build relationships that result in loyalty. Be data and insights-driven. Test everything. Achieve results through strong execution. Build a product people love. Assess new initiatives with the customers’ interest in mind. Act with empathy.
Take Ownership: Bias towards action. Have high standards. Be accountable for the results of your work, our product, our company. Trust others to own it.
Respect: Treat others how you want to be treated. Listen first before being heard. Speak the truth even when it's not easy. Assume best intentions. Bring your full self to work.
Stay Curious: Ask why. Dare to make things better. Learn something new each day (even from mistakes). Be open to growth. Develop creative solutions.
Make it Better: Think big. Set high goals. Work towards long term value rather than short term wins. Create change. Be resilient.
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Learn more about Varo by following us:
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobank
Beware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail [email protected]
with the pertinent information and contact information. Varo takes this matter seriously, and is working closely with the appropriate authorities to effectively address the issue.