We are seeking a data driven and target-oriented professional for the role of Journal Development Manager for Young Minds.
Frontiers for Young Minds’ disseminates the best science in « real time » among the youth of the world. We shortcut the years-long delay until today’s science reaches school textbooks. Top scientists rewrite their articles in a language understandable for a younger audience; school children review the paper; and their feedback is incorporated in the final publication. In short: we link scientific excellence with outreach.
Yet, ‘Frontiers for Young Minds’ is more than a journal: school children meet scientists in the presence of teachers and mentors in a classroom. These « live reviews » are taking place in the children’s native tongue. In fact, all ‘Frontiers for Young Minds’ resources (website, articles) are being made available in several major global idioms. Join us in transforming societies by educating the next generation !
Under the guidance of a Program Manager and working closely with members across multiple Editorial Teams, the Journal Development Manager role requires the ability to inspire across all levels, be a trusted advisor for internal and external stakeholders and arrive at solution-oriented approaches to deliver scalable growth. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal skills and ideally work experience within academic publishing, which will enable them to effectively engage with high-profile scholars and be an effective team manager and interface with other departments.
- Managing 1 journal and deliver ambitious targets and objectives;
- Driving journal growth and development through Editor engagement, article collections and section launches, informed by competitor and market analysis;
- Building strong relationships with high-profile scholars and pro-actively manage the Editorial Boards;
- Representing the company to external stakeholders and promote the portfolio at international conferences;
- Managing and leading 1 Journal Development Specialist and supporting team members across multiple Editorial departments;
- Collaborating with internal departments to ensure efficiency and scalability of journal operations;
- Leading internal editorial projects and initiatives to bring further strategic value and growth opportunities for the company, such as the translation of Frontiers For Young Minds articles.
- At least 2 years of experience working in a scientific publishing house, and/or strong equivalent project management experience;
- A degree or higher in portfolio-related subject area is essential with a keen interest in dissemination of research;
- At least 1 year of management experience;
- Initiative taking, dynamic and focused personality;
- Flawless communication in written and spoken English;
- Aptitude for digesting large amounts of information, and reacting effectively to urgent situations;
- Ability to work independently, be highly organized and meet deadlines;
- Sound and mature judgment; decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders;
- Technical proficiency, with hands-on skills using current software (particularly MS Excel);
- A working knowledge of common social networks and social media platforms.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter and resume (as DOC or PDF)
- As part of your application, please prepare a strategic business plan for the journal for 2019 demonstrating how a Journal Manager will ensure they deliver their growth KPIs.
- The indication of your earliest availability
- Application deadline: June 26, 2019
- 25 days' vacation per year;
- Participation into Frontiers annual bonus scheme;
- Plenty of social & fun benefits, including Christmas party, summer barbecue.