ABOUT KHAN LAB SCHOOL
Khan Lab School (KLS) is an independent lab school located in Mountain View, California. It is a start-up school founded in 2014 with the goal of testing and documenting practices that push thinking around what school could be and what young people are capable of. Many of the core principles and ideas to be developed and tested in the school are outlined in Salman Khan’s book The One World Schoolhouse: Education Reimagined.
In the fall of 2016, KLS will serve 95 students ages 5-14. Our teachers provide small group or one-on-one mentorship for a self paced, mastery-based curriculum, and co-create applied learning experiences for students. We believe that children should have ownership of their learning and we give children the freedom to make mistakes, fail, iterate, and find satisfaction in the quest for learning itself.
The mission of the school is to develop fully empowered future citizens by pioneering models that put the learner at the center of the education experience.
Our Core Values are:
- We believe learning is not bound by time or space.
- We use a variety of tools to create a holistic, real-time view of each child.
- Feedback from all stakeholders is used to continuously improve on the school model.
- The entire community is part of our learning environment that we learn from and contribute to.
- We surround students with the resources and time for them to fully actualize their interests and ambitions.
ARTS SPECIALIST RESPONSIBILITIES
The Arts Specialist is responsible for small group arts instruction and provides assistance in project design. The Arts Specialist will be responsible for developing an interest in and the ability for creative expression in each student, using skills and techniques of artistic expression consistent with school guidelines; to develop aesthetic understanding and appreciation; to discover and develop the talents of students in the field of art. This position is a 10 hr/week position (25% time).
- Project Based Learning:
- Provide input into the design of experiential, project-based learning activities for the class by using global resources to create an experience that’s relevant and real-world
- Embed competencies in projects (e.g. cognitive skills and character strengths, global citizenship, creation, purpose and deeper learning competencies)
Small Group Instruction: Provide individual and small-group instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of students with varying intellectual and artistic abilities, and to accommodate a variety of instructional activities:
- Teach knowledge and skills across artistic mediums, and art history
- Provide instruction to develop students’ artistics ability and appreciation as well as their ability to make qualitative judgments about art
- Apply a variety of “craft” techniques including Textiles / Woodwork / Modeling
Provide Instruction in elements of design and modern principles of art, including multimedia (e.g. CAD/CAM / Photoshop, Animation 3D, Video, Broadcasting)
- Evaluate competencies in projects (e.g. cognitive skills and character strengths, global citizenship, creation, purpose and deeper learning competencies)
- Curate individual learning activities for personalized learning goals
- Create and or implement an interdisciplinary and academically rigorous curriculum for a mixed-age classroom
- Collect and reflect on student data; adjust instruction accordingly
- Communicate learning targets and outcomes to colleagues, parents, and students on a regular basis
- Commit to building a community of child-centered educators by mentoring other educators and making regular contributions (e.g. arts exhibitions and displays) to be shared publicly, including curriculum, best practices, research findings, etc.
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to design and refine an innovative model for school education
- Have at least 5+ years experience teaching Arts at the Elementary and Middle School Level
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree, a Master’s Degree in Education or equivalent
- Prior experience with project-based learning activities
- Prior experience with or a desire to teach in a setting that values giving up control and allowing students to make mistakes and gain maturity and self-motivation through independence
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student-driven learning experiences
- Belief in fostering children’s social emotional capabilities
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Entrepreneurial mindset and customer service orientation
- Flexibility. A LOT of flexibility. We are in startup mode, so every aspect of the Lab School is subject to change.
- Equal parts self-starter and team player
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
VERY NICE TO HAVES:
- MA in Fine Arts
- A portfolio of project based learning and applied learning lessons across multiple domains
- Experience in a multicultural school environment
- Multilingual and international experience
- Experience working with elementary through early middle school aged students
- Prior experience leading curriculum development
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Free lunch and snacks
- Khan Lab School tuition discount
SPECIAL SCHOOL EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
All Khan Lab School employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law and permitted by New York state law prior to their start dates at Khan Lab School. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with Khan Lab School would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Khan Lab School is able to facilitate transfers for certain types of work visas, we are also planning to offer original visa sponsorship.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.