We are looking for a law and policy intern or extern based in Santa Monica, California – it is a paid position. We aim to work closely with politicians, regulators, legislators, and key stakeholders across the United States to educate them about the need for the right drone regulation. We want to highlight the significant benefits the drone economy brings, while addressing the safety, nuisance, and privacy concerns of key stakeholders.
To do this role effectively you must be able to work closely with a team of Public Policy researchers and managers, as well as inside and outside legal counsel. You should be able to build trust and talk to a variety of authorities, from the municipal to state levels, to help them understand the contribution that drones make, and engage them in the process of creating fair regulatory frameworks.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about aviation, drones, and emerging technology.
In-house Legal Extern:
- Opportunity to work closely with and observe the legislative and policy making process
- Work for a start-up offering immediate responsibility and integration as a team member
- Work directly with our seasoned legal counsel and public policy experts on an emerging and cutting edge field of law
- Research existing local and statewide regulations; including regulations that are in development, or going through a state senate or assembly
- Work with the public policy team on developing the strategy to approach and educate new cities and counties
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments affecting AirMap’s priorities
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters and advise the company with respect to policy challenges
- Maintain relationships with an extensive network of contacts in local offices, as well as with allied groups and intragovernmental organizations
- Bachelor’s degree; preferred in related field (law student or J.D. preferred)
- 20 hours per week minimum
- First-rate personal, political, analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal and presentation skills, both for subject matter experts and the layperson
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player in a multi-task work environment while producing the highest caliber work product in a timely manner
- Self-starter with a sense of humor and the ability to thrive in a fast moving and sometimes stressful environment