Wonderschool is harnessing the power of technology to provide comprehensive support to childcare providers operating out of their homes as well as in the government and non-profit sectors. Our products enable childcare providers to create high-quality environments and meet the demands of their business, while also helping parents in need of childcare solutions through the creation of an accessible marketplace.
We are looking for a Lead Data Science Engineer with strong exposure to big data; out of box thinking coupled experience to drive data analytics, data modeling, enhance tools / data infrastructure. You will build and integrate systems and processes for internal and external consumers to better understand user behavior and marketplace dynamics as the company scales. As a successful Data Science Engineer, you will not only integrate and implement data analysis tools, but also help define and influence key business metrics and analysis frameworks that bring the Wonderschool vision to life.
- Lead the planning, development, implementation, and support of the analytics data infrastructure.
- Guide the data team and vendor partners, overseeing their work, prioritizing projects based on customer and internal needs.
- Take ownership of deliverables for the data analytics team, including data infrastructure, data pipelines, and reporting dashboards, ensuring timely and accurate delivery.
- Perform in-depth analysis and validation of source data, ensuring data integrity and identifying any discrepancies or issues, and taking appropriate actions for data cleansing and transformation.
- Lead the deployment and auditing of models and attributes to ensure the performance of data-driven models.
- Proactively debug and resolve data issues across the entire data stack, identifying and addressing root causes in a timely fashion to minimize disruptions to data processes and reporting.
- Establish and maintain extensive documentation on Wonderschool's data architecture, including data sources, data flows, transformations, and data definitions.
- Architect, build, and maintain Wonderschool's data warehouse, leveraging appropriate technologies and frameworks to optimize data storage, retrieval, and analysis.
- Implement and enforce data security measures to protect sensitive data, including personally identifiable information (PII) and financial data.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product managers, data scientists, and stakeholders, to understand business requirements, prioritize data initiatives, and align data engineering efforts with overall organizational goals.
- Foster a culture of continuous improvement, innovation, collaboration, and knowledge sharing.
- Stay current on industry best practices and participate in professional development activities to enhance skills and expertise in data engineering and analytics.
- Manage GCP Datastream and Firebase streaming pipelines.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience as an analytics/data engineer or similar role
- In office time is required for team meetings as needed with a minimum of 5 days per month
- Previous experience with:
- Version Control tools like GitHub.
- Advanced SQL and DBT for data modeling.
- NoSQL databases (Firestone, MongoDB)
- Data Warehousing (Big Query, Snowflake)
- ETL tools (Zapier, Stitch.io)
- Data acquisition methods (SFTP, APIs)
- GCP Datastream
- Familiarity with a range of BI/Analytics tools such as Sisense, Looker, Periscope, and Tableau.
- Experience with Sisense Fusion Business Intelligence Platform delivering robust data dashboards and reports.
- Experience with Google’s Big Query data warehouse solution, including efficiently loading and extracting data sets from it, for external import/consumption.
- Heavy Experience with ETL tools like Segment, to masterfully organize compartmentalized data, into a single managed source.
- Demonstrated experience in leading a Backend/Distributed Data Systems team, balancing managerial responsibilities while remaining actively involved in hands-on technical work.
- Proficiency in Data Modeling, including expertise in ERD (Entity Relationship Diagram), UML (Unified Modeling Language), and data dictionary concepts, enabling effective design and organization of data structures.
- Proven track record of fully owning and delivering data analysis features, including requirements analysis, task breakdown, milestone definition, and successful delivery.
- Strong cross-functional collaboration skills, working closely with product managers, engineers, and customer success teams to understand current and future business needs and ensure the data infrastructure meets those needs.
- Expert problem-solving abilities, demonstrated by a track record of tackling data complex challenges.
- Clear and effective verbal and written communication skills, enabling seamless collaboration and understanding across remote teams and stakeholders.
- Proven experience in managing large projects by breaking down features into manageable deliverables, ensuring efficient project execution and timely completion.
- Bachelor's degree in Programming/Systems, Computer Science, or a related field, providing a strong foundation in relevant technical concepts and principles.
- Desired, but not required, experience leading or participating in teams focused on AI and/or AI driven decision making solutions.
What We Offer:
Wonderschool provides the wage ranges it reasonably and in good faith expects to pay for all remote roles and as otherwise required by applicable law. The expected range of starting pay for this role is $140,000 - $160,000 annually. Actual compensation may vary within the listed range based on a wide array of factors including, but not limited to, skill set, experience, and specific geographic location.
Additionally, Wonderschool offers a competitive benefits package, including the following:
- Health benefits offer up to 100% coverage for employee premiums and up to 80% for dependents
- Wifi, Employee Wellness, and co-working space reimbursements offered to all employees
- A flexible PTO plan, paid holidays, and mental wellness days
- Highly competitive parental leave policies, eligible to qualified individuals after 6-months of employment
- An autonomous workplace that prioritizes health and wellness to ensure our employees can produce their best work while achieving their personal and professional goals
- A fully remote, but highly collaborative work environment with a variety of team bonding opportunities
Wonderschool is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and talent.