Our company vision is to amplify human potential. Our mission is to deliver enterprise a powerful tool for transformation—an augmented reality platform of great utility and simplicity. Achieving our goals requires passion and dedication. That’s why we’re committed to building and empowering a diverse team of incredibly talented people and fostering an inclusive culture through our values of unity, innovation, and user centricity.
Magic Leap is looking for a Lead Optical Engineer. The ideal candidate will have extensive hands-on experience in the field of optical metrology, component characterization and image quality. As Lead Optical Engineer, you will work with an experienced cross-functional team to develop and manufacture innovative leading edge optical components for AR/MR devices. The team features a collaborative and hands-on environment that fosters engineering excellence, creativity, and innovation in the interdisciplinary areas of optical design and testing, device fabrication, display technologies, image processing, and color sciences.
This role is based on our Austin, TX office and will require you to come into our office regularly.
- Perform characterization of optical components for augmented reality display systems.
- Clearly document and present technical results to cross-functional engineering teams
- Design, assemble, program, and verify performance of specialized optical metrology tools and imaging systems.
- Analyze and troubleshoot new optical designs and metrology tools, run repeatability tests, and report results
- Domestic travel as required (expected to be less than 10% of your time)
- 5+ years’ experience in optical metrology methods and instrumentation including camera and imaging systems
- Extensive knowledge of optical assembly, alignment and test methods and field assessment of optical systems in a laboratory environment is required
- A background in test automation and creating custom optical test systems preferably with experience with equipment APIs and Automation (Python, Matlab, LabView,, etc.)
- 3+ years’ experience in one or more scientific computer languages for image analysis and data analysis automation (e.g. Matlab, Python)
- Working knowledge of commercial optical design software tools (e.g. Zemax or Code V) is preferred.
- Experience in the establishment and documentation of test requirements of optical systems and components
- Experience with opto-mechanics and automation, including precision alignment and fast prototyping of complex optical systems is highly preferred.
- Excellent creative/analytical & critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Experience in working with international, cross-functional teams
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- M.S./Ph.D. in optical engineering, physics or a related field or B.S. with 5+ years commercial experience in the field of optics
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. In addition to salary, Magic Leap offers a discretionary bonus, equity, and a fully comprehensive benefits package for eligible employees.
US Base Salary Range