Lead Software Engineer at Spare
Spare is looking to add a third team to our Engineering department to grow our suite of products, and we are looking for someone to lead that team.
You will be helping to build out a platform that truly makes an impact in the lives of people around the globe, with a team that believes in accessibility and autonomy (for both our vehicles and our people).
As a Lead Engineer you’ll get the best of both worlds - leading and coding! Part of your responsibilities will include building more complex products and features, as well as empowering your teammates to do the same.
We will be moving two current team members onto your team, so you will have lots of resources to get you ramped up quickly!
Our HQ is Vancouver, BC, but this position is open to remote work options across Canada.
✨What you'll do✨
- Own features from end to end, managing complexity and engaging directly with stakeholders to think through everything from success metrics, to reliability and operability, to the pixel-perfection of individual workflows
- Be one of three Engineering Leads, reporting directly to our CTO, with a direct impact on product strategy and execution
- Work closely with stakeholders involved in planning and execution of product changes, including the Product team, Customer Success team, our founders, and other Engineering teams
- Manage and grow your own team of software engineers
- Own a part of Spare’s codebase and documentation through active participation in code reviews and technical design meetings
- Write and maintain robust, efficient and maintainable code using a variety of languages, frameworks and tools, including React, React Native, and TypeScript
- Lead by doing: continue to increase code quality, decrease time to market for roadmapped features, ideate and execute on new and existing features and products, and support your team in doing the same
- Be a technical leader on the team by demonstrating an unrelenting focus on quality, speed, and overall excellence
- Test your own code and ensure your team uses best practises regarding testing
✨Who you are✨
- You have experience leading a team of high-quality engineers and you know what to look for when hiring a diverse team with a varied skill set
- You are a mentor, strong communicator and collaborator, and you strive to lead by doing
- You have experience building sophisticated enterprise platforms and mobile apps, ideally using our tech stack: Node.JS, TypeScript, React, React Native, Docker, Kubernetes, PostgreSQL, Google Cloud
- You consider yourself a well-rounded/Full-stack Engineer because you feel comfortable working on both back-end and front-end problems
- You are comfortable working with infrastructure, automated testing, continuous integration, and managing software delivery into production
- You have a passion for maintaining the integrity of the architectural design of a software project, and have a natural ability to identify scalable solutions to technical problems
- You strive for both beauty and functionality in products that you design
✨What we're doing @ Spare ✨
Spare is a SaaS platform that enables anyone to launch a smart transportation service. Our mission is to empower cities to transform how their communities move with accessible, sustainable transportation networks, starting with on-demand transit!
We believe in creating a space for everyone to share their ideas, empowering creativity and continuous learning. We're still at the beginning of our story, and every team member has a key role in shaping the upcoming chapters and Spare's direction. You will be able to influence your career progression and generate a lasting impact by making headway on the cause for shared mobility.
Not a mobility geek? Take a moment to think about why you chose to live where you do, how easy it is for you to move around, and what makes a city livable. Mobility is paramount in every aspect of our lives, but not everyone has equal and easy access to public transit. Let's change it together!
✨About Our Team ✨
We strive to build a diverse company full of inclusive, fun, hard-working people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. We look for the kind of people who are dedicated to going above and beyond and will build up the team as a whole by helping each team member achieve their own individual goals.
Spare is for the creative, the personal, the passionate, the uncompromising, and those who want to truly understand the impact transportation has on daily life. We’re still at the beginning of our story, and every team member has a key role in where we are headed.
✨What we offer ✨
A passionate, dedicated team, focused on innovation and building a world-class platform.
The opportunity to make an impact on communities around the world. Add an aspect of social good into your day!
We offer competitive salaries, equity, and a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and paramedical coverage, as well as an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family (equivalent to 12 hours of counselling annually, as well as financial and caregiver support).
Health, wellness and education support through our $500 Lifestyle Spending policy. Take a course or buy a kayak - up to you!
Completely remote-optional work environment and beautiful downtown Vancouver office space if/when you prefer to be in the office. A
n inclusive environment, where we focus every day on our people and the people in communities around us.
Spare Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.