As a Lead Software Engineer of Developer Relations, you will engage and support a wide range of Magic Leap’s developers and partners in creating experiences for Magic Leap. You will conduct this support online through the developer website portal, onsite “in the field” at those developers’ offices and from your office at one of Magic Leap’s locations.
In this role, you will build and share advanced knowledge of the company's current and future technology to enable content developers on the Magic Leap platform. You will also be providing technical expertise at internal and external workshops. The ideal candidate has 5+ years of experience in interactive real-time immersive (AR / VR / MR) development and/or the games industry. In addition, we’re interested in those who’ve worked for a major platform/publisher in the past in a similar external-facing role and/or have shipped multiple high profile applications focused on interactive real-time 3D graphics, gaming and/or VR/AR applications.
You must have a strong passion for XR and an innate ability to identify developer needs with the skills and resources to create exemplary spatial computing experiences for Magic Leap’s platform. You are eager to be on the frontlines, leading the development community into the next revolution in computing
- Lead a team to provide 1:1 direct technical assistance to developers building experiences for Magic Leap
- Replicate developer issues & prototype immersive (AR / VR / MR) solutions for content partners and the larger online developer community
- Own the end-to-end developer support product, working with the website owner to execute clear learning paths to minimize developer friction
- Engage with software partners to provide integration of additional SDK technologies to improve Magic Leap’s core software offerings
- Work with engineering resources to create advanced knowledge of Magic Leap's current and future technology with a clear understanding of how they enable content developers of various skill levels.
- Work closely with ISV strategy and enterprise sales to support partner prospecting and technology integration efforts.
- Document discovered solutions into the company knowledge base to foster a culture of leveling-up the developer community
- Relentlessly advocate for developers’ needs internally to improve our overall platform technology, acting as the voice of the external developer.
- Mentor junior engineers: conducting code reviews, leading internal trainings, and contributing to the public-facing knowledge base
- Work hand-in-hand with key stakeholders and Unity team developing the SDK, Unity 3D and associated tools.
- Write elegant, maintainable, reusable code, leveraging test driven principles to develop high quality applications
- Build a deep knowledge of the company's technology/products/services so as to articulate how they enable developers.
- Collaborate with internal subject matter experts in technology and product design to guide partners’ development efforts.
- Work cross-functionally with stakeholders in Product and Software teams to prioritize platform improvement to satisfy requirements of 3rd parties, including developers, creators, and middleware/technology providers.
- Identify gaps and opportunities for improving our developer resources and working with third-party software solutions to ensure compatibility with the Magic Leap platform.
- Understand the Magic Leap software development platform, including being able to reproduce platform issues and help solve them together with internal support teams.
- Share best practices and improve the team while seeking the same in return
- 5-7+ years of immersive (AR / VR / MR) development experience using real-time 3D game engines (ideally Unity and/or UE4).
- Excellent problem solving/debugging skills to track down the cause of problems and quickly find solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills working with a range of developer experience levels; the ability to develop strong rapport and credibility both externally with developer partners and internally across the organization, resolve conflicts and promote ideas persuasively
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with cross-functional teams across Hardware, Software, Product, Legal, Business Development.
- Excellent proactive communication skills both written and verbal
- Able to communicate complex technical issues via email and in-person to small groups of engineers, technical artists/designers, and stakeholders
- Experience developing game engine technology is a plus
- Previous platform technology experience is a plus
- Highly collaborative and able to influence. Should embrace, support and practice a collaborative style which goes beyond team and relationship building. Will achieve results with and through others.
- The inclination to improve one’s skill set through training, personal development, and self-learning
- An understanding or knowledge of key technical concepts unique to XR including 6DOF, localization, locomotion etc.
- Flexibility to work outside your job scope, work as a team and support each other.
- Ability to travel 45%
- Bachelor's degree is preferred
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.