Lead, Waveguide Materials Scientist
The Senior, Waveguide Materials Scientist will work in the Waveguide Materials Research and Development group to innovate and lead R&D of inorganic optical crystal waveguide materials and technologies. This includes driving co-development with suppliers in addition to characterization and metrology methods development. This position requires working in a clean-room environment.
- Innovate and lead technology R&D for composition, forming/finishing, integration, and characterization of optical crystal materials such as LiNbO3 for optical waveguides
- Define and develop optical and mechanical metrologies to push the fundamental understanding of waveguide materials and device properties
- Combine fundamental understanding of materials science, characterization, processing, and optical requirements with business acumen to achieve manufacturable solutions that enable product commercialization
- Develop and drive roadmaps with material suppliers
- This position requires working in a clean-room laboratory environment.
- This position may require travel (10-20%)
- Advanced degree in materials science or engineering, ceramic science, glass science, materials chemistry, applied physics or a closely related field of concentration
- Hands-on 4+ experience and strong understanding of phase diagrams, crystallography, single crystal growth, and properties of LiNbO3 or other anisotropic materials
- Hands-on, 4+ years of experience in materials characterization (e.g. SEM, AFM, ellipsometry, interferometry, Raman spectroscopy, x-ray diffraction for crystal structure and orientation).
- Ability to work well under pressure and aggressive deadlines.
- Proven track record of research, including publications or patents.
- Experience of delving into scientific literature to reinforce hypotheses, and developing plans with scientific knowledge with a specific focus on processing-structure-property relationships.
- Proven ability to effectively work as a member of a team.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills are essential.
- Must be able to establish strong working relationships across the organization.
- Must be data driven and capable of developing and executing engineering test plans and capturing a robust set of data.
- Must be articulate and capable of producing reports and presentations that concisely address the matters assigned
- Working knowledge of any of the following is a plus: Matlab, Python, JMP, Creo, Zemax.
- Ph.D. in materials science or engineering, ceramic science, materials chemistry, applied physics or a closely related field of concentration.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level and location. In addition to salary, Magic Leap offers a discretionary bonus, equity, and a fully comprehensive benefits package for eligible employees.
US Base Salary Range