Rovio’s Puzzle Studio has their sights set on becoming the most successful casual puzzle game studio in the world. Exploring new and emerging trends in puzzle games, the studio has built a deep understanding of the puzzle genre and its players since its founding in 2014. The studio has introduced innovations in puzzle game core with the free-flowing Angry Birds Dream Blast, and the narrative-driven Small Town Murders, as well as providing players with exciting new content and events in fan-favorite games such as Angry Birds Friends. With their games, Puzzle Studio aims to create a true emotional connection that stays with players even when they’re not playing.
We are now seeking a motivated and collaborative Level Designer Trainee to join our flock at the Puzzle Studio for summer 2021, in Espoo, Finland.
As a trainee, you will be able to join a world class design department and learn the ins and outs of level creation, level curation, and core game design from international experts. You will be concepting and implementing level designs that will be played by millions of players and get to work with extensive data sets to learn and improve your creations.
- Assist in the day to day work of the level design craft in one of our game teams with concepting, implementing, and balancing new levels; pitching new mechanics & puzzle game features
- Join discussions, workshops, and other design department activities
- Work with other game teams and central teams to improve our games
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Genuine interest in the games industry and a serious passion for free to play (F2P) game development
- Strong interest in casual mobile games
- Excellent communication and team collaboration skills
- Self-starter attitude and ability to tackle problems independently
We’d love if you have:
- Completed independent game projects or game mods in the Level Designer role
- Strong knowledge of published casual, mobile, and F2P games
- Ability to understand user's motivations
- Ability to quickly build and test game content and iterate gameplay
- Ability to create simple yet versatile game mechanics that are easy to learn
- Experience with Unity game engine valued
- Questionnaire: You will receive a Level Design specific multiple-choice questionnaire which will test your understanding of the game and level design craft. The questionnaire will be sent after the application deadline.
- Written Test: You will complete a written exercise in which we want to evaluate your communication and game analysis skills.
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager. We want to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Rovio and the specifics of the role.
- Final round: You will be invited to meet the design director and lead designer of the game team you will be joining. How you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions, and where we can help you develop.
If you’re interested, we look forward to hearing from you soon! Please send us your CV and cover letter by 18 February 2021 (if you have a portfolio, great! Please send us the link or attach it with the application).
Refer to the Trainee FAQ
for any questions you may have. If you have other questions, send us an email to recruitment(at)rovio.com. We don't accept applications sent to this email address.
Note: The duration of this position is from 3 to 5 months usually from May to September, full-time. Depending on the candidate's availability and the team's needs, start date and duration vary. We don’t provide relocation assistance or support in acquiring a work visa if you’re from abroad. You can learn more about the traineeship experience here