ABOUT LIFT TO RISE
Lift To Rise formed to catalyze a regional collective impact model for which we serve as the backbone organization. We coordinate over 60 private, public, nonprofit, and resident partners in two collaborative action networks (CANs) – the Housing CAN and the Economic Mobility CAN – whose goals are to radically increase housing stability and advance economic mobility for all Coachella Valley families.
In January of 2020, the Housing CAN launched a bold initiative to reduce rent burden by 30%– identified through deep community engagement as a central force of instability in residents’ lives through the production of 10,000 units of affordable housing in the Coachella Valley by 2028. Every two years, the Housing CAN develops a shared Action Plan, which outlines a multi-pronged policy, pipeline, and investment strategy to guide our collective work toward our unit production goal. At present, the Housing CAN has identified over 6,000 units across nearly 70 projects at various stages of the development process that make up our “affordable housing pipeline.” To learn more, please visit: http://lifttorise.org.
The Director of Strategic Communications will both lead development and execution of Lift to Rise’s communications, public relations, social media, branding, and external messaging. This is a critical role in a fast-growing nonprofit and is best suited for a leader who is a hardworking self-starter. The position requires a seasoned professional who is an engaging and powerful storyteller, a results-oriented strategist, and meticulous writer with the proven ability to design communications that draw in diverse constituencies and stakeholders to advance our mission. The Director of Strategic Communications will lead Lift to Rise’s communications priorities by creatively advancing our organization’s annual work plan through traditional and digital media and public relations.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and lead creative approaches to communicate Lift to Rise’s mission and impact with key constituencies including grant makers, donors, and community. partners, as well as a broader audience, as appropriate, building buy-in from additional stakeholders.
- Synergize with community-based organizations and partners to ensure continuity of narrative and targeted outreach among partner organizations and incorporating or responding to requests for information.
- Build strong relationships with the Board and staff of Lift to Rise to identify and partner on storytelling opportunities at events and through campaigns.
- Draft thought pieces, remarks and other communication from the President and CEO.
- Collaborate with data partners to coordinate public relations and community outreach in the Coachella Valley, including dissemination of important findings and press releases.
- Manage outside contractors to develop outstanding assets (images, video, etc.) as needed.
- Manage cross-organizational teams and multiple vendors on a project-by-project basis.
Utilize experience to manage multiple projects successfully and simultaneously.
- Lead communications strategy and content development to proactively and creatively drive visibility for Lift to Rise, our Collaborative Action Networks (CANs), events, and initiatives, including branding and messaging in both printed and digital materials.
Routinely translate complex policies, data and related concepts into clear, engaging, and actionable content to resonate with various audiences (e.g., stories, presentations, online articles.)
- Follow larger storytelling trends and creatively leverage this knowledge to outline new ideas and lead the team to new and effective strategies.
- Drive thought partnership with senior leadership.
- Uphold the visual narrative and creative identity of Lift to Rise in all media.
- Drive engagement strategy and amplify presence on key social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter) as well as through blogs and email newsletters.
- Establish and monitor benchmarks to measure growth and engagement of communications priorities, analyzing the effectiveness and adjusting as needed.
- Develop a results-focused environment that includes clear goals, regular feedback and transparent accountability.
- Foster media relationships to further organizational policy goals and community outreach.
- Translate complex ideas into compelling copy and visuals for articles, press releases, speeches, email, website, case studies, and print collateral.
- A minimum of 5-8 years' demonstrated experience as an effective mission-driven communications professional with ability to synthesize complex information into impactful stories: proactive, organized and seasoned in leading with shifting priorities from start to finish; able to produce tight copy on deadline; and exceptional editing and proofreading skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required in related field; advanced degree preferred.
- Proven experience handling complex project management and community stakeholders while maintaining a learning posture.
- Experience and ease in project management. Ability to track self and others to internal and external deadlines, with the ability to respond in real time to internal needs and/or external communications as needed.
- Adaptive leadership skills with excellent interpersonal relationship dynamics; approachable, inspiring, inclusive and able to collaborate with other team members and outside contacts with maturity and optimism in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, social networking tools and content management.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite applications preferred.
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries, discretion, and confidentiality at all times.
- Bilingual Spanish fluency a plus.
- Proven ability to build authentic relationships with cross-sector stakeholders or consortiums.
- Experience working in and/or with communities of color.
- Able to work full-time, in-person, including some weekends and evenings as needed.
- Adaptive leadership skills.
- Willing and able to travel as needed across the Coachella Valley and other locales: must have transportation resources available, valid state ID, and maintain a clean driving record.
- A passion and authentic commitment to justice and equity for people of all ethnicities, races, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, economic circumstances, physical and mental abilities and characteristics, and philosophies.
- Genuine commitment to resident and community issues, as well as to maintaining the integrity of the vision, mission, and values of Lift to Rise.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary range is $100k - $120k plus a generous benefits package. This position is based in Palm Desert, Ca with the expectation the Director of Strategic Communications will be in the office with some flexibility for hybrid work.
Envision Consulting has been retained to conduct the search for Lift to Rise’s incoming Director of Strategic Communications.
Lift to Rise is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status recognized by federal, state or local law with respect to employment opportunities.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.