DraftKings is a technology company that creates the most exciting digital sports competitions on the planet. Focused on the rapidly growing Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) space, DraftKings offers players the opportunity to compete through web and mobile channels in 1-day or 1-week fantasy sports contests for cash prizes and money-can’t-buy experiences. Founded in 2012, we are headquartered in Boston, with additional offices in New York City and London. This is a unique opportunity to work at a company experiencing explosive growth while inventing an industry. We bring the most incredible experiences and the industry's biggest contests to our players. We are looking for exceptional talent to play for our team! Apply today and be a part of our success story.
As Litigation Counsel, you will work primarily with the Litigation team to assist in providing management and oversight of litigation in government and legal proceedings involving DraftKings.
DraftKings’ legal department is looking for support on a variety of Legal initiatives that would provide valuable experience to anyone with interest in a corporate and/or legal environment. The position provides an outstanding opportunity to work in an in-house legal department of a dynamic company. The candidate will help address the novel and complex legal and business issues that confront a rapidly growing company, while obtaining first-class business and legal experience.
General overview of position
The Candidate will be responsible for tasks in several areas, including but not limited to, contract law, general corporate law, general litigation matters, and various administrative tasks.
- Work on all aspects of the litigation process from case inception through case closure including setting case strategy, negotiate settlements and providing internal guidance by working in conjunction with the business and relevant stakeholders.
- Assist with processing, investigating, and asserting claims under various federal, state and local authorities.
- Research and analyze procedural and legal issues.
- Investigate factual issues pertaining to claims and work closely with business units across the organization to properly defend and/or prosecute matters.
- Review and respond to all legal requests, including, without limitation, governmental inquiries, subpoenas, and other means of legal process.
- Provide clear direction to various business units on accomplishing the business objectives while managing legal risk;
- Respond promptly to requests for legal review from all departments; and
- Assist other members of the legal team as needed across all business units.
- JD required and admission to the MA bar (or eligible for MA authorized in-house counsel) with excellent academic credentials;
- A minimum of five (5) years of previous litigation experience combined at both a law firm and in-house. Two (2) years of in-house experience required.
- Must be commercially minded and able to view legal issues in light of business priorities;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent negotiation, contract drafting, and communication skills;
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and multiple complex projects simultaneously;
- Ability to work under pressure with keen attention to detail and excellent organizational skills;
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to act decisively; and able to provide quick, concise, and practical advice consistent with DraftKings’ business objectives;
- Able to advise and where necessary problem-solve as pro-actively as possible;
- Possess the ability to interact effectively with other attorneys and employees, senior executives, opposing counsel and outside client personnel;
- Superior ability to analyze complex business and legal issues, exceptional judgment, outstanding inter-personal skills, a teamwork-oriented attitude, strong initiative, and proven ability to effectively juggle competing priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate risk and to exercise sound legal judgment;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Proven track record of relationship and management skills;
- Must be team-oriented and have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a solution-oriented approach to legal issues; and
- A sense of humor and positive can-do attitude.