We are looking for a Look Development Artist to help us build amazing characters, props, and environments. Must have skills in texturing, look development, lighting, and offline rendering for assets in full-CG environments.
- Work with lighters, modelers, and texture artists to create final look shaders (Redshift) for CG props, sets, and characters.
- Guide the asset through final lighting with feedback from supervisors and the lighting team.
- Work on multiple assets at the same time with competing priorities.
- Provide quick turn arounds and preliminary composites of renders for feedback and reviews.
- Work with the Lead Lighter and CG Supervisor to help correct pipeline inefficiencies, and optimize render times.
- Work with production management on strategies around hitting deadlines.
- 3-5 years of experience in look development
- Expert knowledge of Maya, Nuke, and offline rendering software.
- Knowledge of texturing and painting packages (Substance, Photoshop) an asset
- Strong technical understanding of shading in render packages such as Redshift, vRay, Arnold
- Production experience with Redshift shaders and lighting situations a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to openly communicate creative and technical thoughts and ideas.
- Ability to improvise and problem-solve.
- Experience in Windows environment an asset.
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.