OakNorth is the next-generation credit and monitoring platform that provides banks and lending institutions with the insight and foresight needed to create a better borrowing experience for the Missing Middle – the growth business who are the backbones of communities and economies globally but who have been in banking’s blind spot for decades.
The business was founded in 2015 by Rishi Khosla and Joel Perlman, who previously co-founded Copal Amba and grew it to 3,000 employees over 12 years, before selling it to Moody’s (NYSE: MCO) in 2014, returning 125 times capital to seed investors.
Since its inception, OakNorth has secured over $1bn from several investors, including: Clermont Group, Coltrane, EDBI of Singapore, GIC, Indiabulls, NIBC, Toscafund, and SoftBank’s Vision Fund.
The Platform has been deployed at various banks across North America, Europe, and Asia, and in the UK where OakNorth lends off of its own balance sheet via OakNorth Bank. The platform has helped OakNorth Bank become the fastest-growing business in Europe according to the Financial Times FT 1000 (2020), profitably lending over £4bn to date. In terms of the impact this has had on the economy, OakNorth Bank’s loans have directly helped with the creation of 13,000 new homes and 17,000 new jobs in the UK, as well as adding several billion pounds to the economy.
With offices in London, New York, Manchester, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Istanbul, Gurgaon and Bangalore, the global team across the OakNorth Holdings group is over 800 people.
SMEs are crucial in the global economy. Although they account for 99% of business in the UK/US, their financing need is increasingly difficult to be met by major banks, due to higher risk of default and the diversity of different sectors in that make up "SME".
To solve this problem, OakNorth is building a platform to improve productivity of SME lenders. From credit appraisal, to loan monitoring, the OakNorth Machine Learning team has identified multiple key areas that can be optimised by recent advances in Machine Learning (ML), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Computer Vision (CV), and Information Retrieval (IR).
We are looking for passionate scientists and/or software engineers who will be joining the fastest growing and profitable fintech in London as a Machine Learning Engineer. You enjoy solving challenging tasks and creating impactful and data-driven products with innovative techniques.
We expect you are:
- Experienced in Machine Learning, Computer Vision, NLP, Information Retrieval, or related fields
- A PhD / MSc or equivalent industrial experience
- Able to quickly learn new technologies and comprehend academic literatures independently.
We would love to see:
- Experience with modern deep learning frameworks (e.g. PyTorch, Tensorflow, Jax)
- Experience working on distributed software system (e.g. Spark, Hadoop, ElasticSearch)
- Publications in related academic venues (e.g. ACL, CVPR, EMNLP, ICML, KDD, NeurIPS)
- Work with domain experts to shape the future of our platform.
- Research and evaluate techniques that can improve/solve a concrete business workflow/problem.
- Convert research findings into production-level software systems.
- Publish findings in top-tier academic venues.
Thank you very much for your interest in OakNorth. We are happy to consider you for roles within our group of companies. If we can identify a match between your skill set and our immediate recruiting needs, please expect to hear from us very soon. If we are unable to identify a fit in the near term, please note that we intend to retain the data you send to us so we may contact you in the future.