Our client is a manufacturer of a wide variety of crackers and better-for-you snacks for retailers and top-tier brands across North America. With growing demand for their health-conscious products, they enjoy supply arrangements with retailers representing more than 70% of the North American marketplace including traditional grocery, mass and discount formats.
The Maintenance Supervisor will manage all plant units responsible for maintaining the plant’s equipment, building, and facilities. They will provide technical expertise regarding maintenance, electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic engineering. This Supervisor will develop and implement short-term and mid-term business plans for the department and assist in the development of the plant’s strategic plans. This Supervisor will be a member of the company’s HACCP team.
What you’ll be doing:
- Plan, manage, and direct the efforts of maintenance, hydraulic, and electric work teams and provide maintenance and mechanical engineering support to these teams. (Dual ticket- electrician and Millwright)
- Commit to the implementation and continual improvement of the requirements of the BRC Global Standard for Foods Safety and to processes that facilitate company’s intention to meet obligation to produce safe and legal products to the specified quality.
- Develop, implement, and communicate short-term and mid-term (1 to 2 years) business plans for the operations.
- Assist in establishing the long-term strategic plans for the plant.
- Develop operating policies and procedures, as necessary.
- Identify skills improvement opportunities for each team member.
- Provide and coordinate training.
- Track progress and provide coaching.
- Participate in selection, recognition, disciplining and evaluation of department staff.
- Supervise maintenance activities. Track individual and team performance.
- Ensures all mechanic and lead activities follow safety & food safety requirements, GMP, company and department policies.
- Communicate performance standards to associates, recognize and reward individual and team accomplishments, and counsel performance problems.
- Ensure all associates have the necessary resources and capabilities to effectively accomplish their responsibilities.
- Direct the analysis of mechanical and operational problems on plant equipment and oversee the planning and implementation of corrective action.
- Oversee the scheduling of preventative maintenance checks and inspection of plant equipment while ensuring there are no disruptions to the production schedule.
- Develop, maintain, and report required operational information to management.
- Build and maintain harmonious partnerships with other departments. Ensures constant effective communication.
- Analyze and record cause of production delays on the daily production report.
- Promote root cause mentality to address chronic and major equipment downtime contributors. Brainstorm, generate and track completion of corrective and preventive actions.
- Promote continuous improvement activities. Encourage suggestions, group discussions, have improvement projects implemented and track results.
- Ensure that plant facilities and grounds are maintained in accordance with relevant regulations, company standards, and fiscal consideration.
- Prepare major equipment bids and approve purchase of new equipment, as appropriate.
- Provide effective troubleshooting guidance for technical issues. Encourage use of reference manuals and schematics. Ensures use of OEM tech support and online resources are maximized.
- Ensures shop upkeep is regularly performed.
- Ensures parts room is organized and procedures are strictly followed.
- Main contact and responsible for coordination of contractor activities. Monitors and verifies contracted work and ensures contractor compliance to company policies.
- Keep abreast of the latest manufacturing technologies and systems, and engineering concepts.
- Performs all duties according to the SOPs and GMPs and all other established safety standards and company policies.
Critical Day to Day duties or Responsibilities:
- Monitor WO order completion.
- Provide technical support to the organization.
- Daily walk through of the facility and production lines and follow up with corrective actions.
- Ensure daily pass down communication is performed between shifts.
- Analyze workload and adjust schedules to ensure safe, high quality and timely work.
- Actively shares information and learning with others while encouraging others to actively gather and share information.
- Will be required to perform tasks such as lifting to 50 pounds, walking, standing, climbing, reaching, stooping, pulling, pushing, grasping, and balancing as part of production activities out on the floor.
- Will be required to see and hear well enough to understand Associates questions and respond to their concerns.
- Will be required to work in heat, near noisy machinery, and near confined spaces.
- Professional Engineer, CET or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
- Minimum 5 to 10 years maintenance management experience in a manufacturing environment requiring knowledge of refrigeration, plumbing, industrial electrical, mechanical systems and maintenance, and automated manufacturing process controls and equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of preventative maintenance techniques / scheduling, and safety management.
- Working knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), sanitation processes / procedures, and HACCP.
- Demonstrated knowledge of efficient and safe manufacturing operations including product and associate safety, product quality, and cost control.
- Demonstrated ability to direct, coach, and train unionized, hourly associates as well as plan, monitor and schedule work.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications especially Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated mechanical and spatial aptitude, including the ability to disassemble and reassemble equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to formulate and understand complex mathematical equations.
- Physically demanding work conditions including standing, walking, and lifting heavy machinery and equipment.
- May require working in various extremely hot and cold conditions, including indoors, outdoors, and working at heights.
- Loud Noise and hearing protection is used at all times.
- Shift work may be required.
- Occasional travel to other locations.
- May also involve working during off-hours or on-call.
- Working in the heat during the summer
For consideration, please apply online. As part of our commitment to inclusivity, diversity, equity and accessibility, our goal is a workforce built on respect that reflects the communities we serve. We thank all applicants for their interest in MaxPeople but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are proud to be in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), 2005 and the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation. We are happy to honor accommodations at any part of the recruitment process and invite you to let us know how we can help.