We’re Simply Business
We insure small businesses and enable big dreams – not just for our customers, but for our people and communities too. With over 1,000,000 active insurance policies, we protect builders, bakers, landlords, and more than 1,000 other trades.
We harness cutting-edge data ability, believe in experimentation, and build our own technology to deliver better experiences for our customers and employees. This means we’re as much a technology company as one that sells insurance. We build, we fail, we learn, we improve. We’re a B Corp too, which recognises our strong track record of having a positive impact on people, society and the environment.
If Simply Business sounds like the kind of place you’ll thrive, we’d love to hear from you
We’re looking for an ACA, ACCA, CIMA qualified (or finalist) Management Accountant – 15 Months Maternity Cover (Contract) to join the Financial Control Team in London.
Here's what you'll be doing:
- Processing month-end journals and owning the month-end timetable, communicating across Finance leads to create a streamlined process
- Owning the monthly management accounts reporting pack (Profit and Loss, Balance Sheet and cashflow), inputting budget data and variance analysis to monthly actuals to make sure management accounts accurately reflect business performance
- Preparing accurate balance sheet reconciliations with appropriate back-up in line with owner’s policy, including prepayments and accruals
- Reviewing payroll balance sheet reconciliations
- Managing the Accounts Payable Team, assisting with queries and improvements with the PO process
- Completing quarter-end VAT returns, and preparing the annual adjustment for partial-rated VAT percentage and corresponding journals
We're looking for someone who is:
- ACA, ACCA, CIMA qualified (or finalist)
- Highly numeric with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Able to identify and control weaknesses by being proactive to suggest and implement improvements
- Able to work well under pressure, whilst meeting deadlines
- Experienced with VAT
- Highly computer literate and proficient in financial systems, Microsoft Excel, and Word (including lookups, pivot tables and advanced formulae)
- Experienced in access Dimensions or SAP (desired)
- Experience in implementing a new ERP/EPM system (desired)
A few more details about the role:
- You’ll also be completing tasks such as:
- Annual PSA return and submission to HMRC
- Reporting on corporation tax to parent US company
- Key involvement with internal and external auditors
- Superuser of banking system, ensuring mandates are up to date
- R&D reporting to HMRC
- Testing and assisting with implementation of our new finance system
- Taking ownership of our finance intranet pages
- Supporting departments and teams across the business
- Submitting payment practices reports
- Ad hoc analysis, and supporting Financial Director and Financial Controller
Our culture is inclusive and diverse
We Embrace Individuality We value what’s important to each and every SBer. Whether that be providing access to cutting edge wellbeing support, or being part of one of our many diversity networks and communities. We also take personal development seriously - we’re all about enabling big dreams.
We Trust Who We Hire We empower SBers with choice and flexibility to make the right decisions based on the needs of their roles and we’ve been working this way long before Covid19.
There’s no one-size-fits all solution when it comes to how often we get together in person, so all of our people and teams find the rhythm that suits them best when it comes to working from home or hub.
We’re innovative We've created a place for people to be curious, experience new things, and bring unique ideas to the table. If you want to learn how we do all this - head over to our Careers page where you’ll see us walk the talk
Our mission is to make Simply Business synonymous with fairness, belonging and inclusivity. We won’t be happy until we’ve created a truly inclusive culture – where every employee, whatever their background, role, or location, feels comfortable being their authentic self at work.
We all have a part to play – to learn more, to do more and to go further – in building this new reality that’ll be befitting of the diversity of the customers we serve. At Simply Business, we’re all in.
What are the benefits?
At Simply Business, our benefits let you balance life and work properly:
• flexible parental leave – you can choose to take shared parental leave, plus we offer full pay for the first six months of your maternity leave and four-week fully paid paternity leave, subject to meeting the qualifying criteria
• remote working – more of us are currently working remotely than usual, but longer-term you can balance working remotely with working in the office, giving you the opportunity to connect with colleagues
• mental health and wellbeing resources – we take your wellbeing seriously, giving you access to counselling (through our Employee Assistance Programme) as well as technology to support your mental health (through the Unmind app)
• paid sabbatical – two weeks off when you’ve been here for five years and four weeks off when you’ve been here for 10, 15 & 20 years
• a dedicated learning platform – including a management and leadership programme – the platform lets you balance both work and life goals
And we compensate you fairly:
• a competitive salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy and the market we’re in from your first day
• the potential to earn an annual bonus based on business performance (those on commission-led roles will be rewarded monthly)
• we match what you put into your pension up to five per cent
• a health cash plan reimburses your everyday medical expenses (with the opportunity to increase the level of your plan in your flexible benefits)
• a generous holiday entitlement of 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
• life assurance of four times of your basic salary
• Smart Health services including unlimited access to a 24/7 virtual GP
• a flexible benefits scheme with an allocated allowance each year to choose from benefits including private medical insurance, dental insurance, travel insurance, up to five days extra holiday, and gym membership
These values are important to us and our people
These all mean something unique to every person at Simply Business, but if you’re thinking about working here, give them some thought. They’re at the heart of our story.