We are looking for a talented manager to lead and grow the Backend Services engineering team.
Working at Dots
At Dots we are broad. Our games are beautifully executed from a graphic design, game design, and technological perspective. Our aim is to create experiences that do the little things extremely well. This results in a minimalist experience that has all the things you need and love, but none of the things you don’t. At Dots this approach is present in all verticals, and engineering is no exception. This is particularly true of any backend engineering.
The Backend Services team is responsible for all aspects of backend engineering - Game and Data Services designs and implementation, CI/CD pipelines, DevOps and operations for a globally deployed platform handling 100’s of millions events for day. In addition to leading the team, this person will help articulate and then deliver a strong vision for globally scalable data / ML driven gaming backend.
The role requires a mix of technical leadership, hands-on services development and operational strategy. In addition, the candidate ought to have a leadership track record - communicating with, inspiring, mentoring, aligning engineers with varying levels of experience as well as ability to effectively grow the team. Finally, you should be an expert on modern Server side software development methodologies, tools and operational processes.
If you find joy in fast-paced fun environments, building challenging globally scalable architectures and data / ML driven systems, setting up processes that make teams run like a well oiled machine and helping individual developers to grow their career we would love to talk to you.
- Be “the voice” for the Backend Services engineering at Dots and serve as a bridge between the team and other departments
- Identify business opportunities and define technical vision for the Backend Engineering team and the company
- Help foster winning engineering culture and practices to create scalable, well architected solutions to the Backend systems and services
- Drive vision for Backend services designs, CI/CD and DevOps process and Cloud strategy
- Cultivate the environment where team members are empowered and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership, belonging and accountability
- Foster learning and growth of individuals on the team and their respective careers
- Conduct performance reviews and regular one on ones with your team members
- Nurture and guide the technical quality of project milestones while persistently assessing emerging technologies
- Guide the engineering team in setting up processes and defining variables, constraints, and outputs for technical and game design roadmaps
- Be a company point of contact for different technical partners and vendors
- Continue growing mobile engineering team through recruiting of high performing engineers
- Act as CTO sounding board and trusted technical adviser
- 5+ years experience managing and growing a Backend engineering team responsible for high performance highly available microservices platform
- Experience with Gaming or Real-time Financial systems is strong plus
- Experience with building services for direct-to-consumer global mobile Front End is a strong plus
- 8+ years of experience as a hands on software engineer with focus on Backend services and systems
- 3+ years of experience building Backend services with Python.
- Experience with Go is strong plus
- 5+ years of building and operating SQL and No-SQL data stores
- Experience with Data Warehouse / Data Lake engineering is a plus.
- 3+ years of experience managing Cloud infrastructures, preferably AWS.
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes is a strong plus
- Strong command of Backend services architecture, performance optimization, high availability deployment and operations
- Experience managing large scale systems with large and varied code bases (SDKs/APIs/Libraries)
- Strong understanding of Backend services SDLC, Quality, CI/CD pipelines, tools and best practices
- Experience supporting highly instrumented analytics-driven products
- Excellent understanding of modern leadership and management principles
- Experience managing off-shore resources is a plus