The Risk team plays a critical role in ensuring a healthy financial eco-system for businesses around the world. The Credit Risk & Underwriting Manager, will directly impact the company’s bottom line and growth capabilities by building a team of experts passionate about supporting new and emerging businesses. The Credit Operations team is responsible for conducting credit risk assessments, underwriting users of all sizes, and proposing mitigation strategies that enable Stripe to take smart risks for our users.
Did you know that only around 4% of the world’s GDP comes from internet commerce? At Stripe, we believe that this represents a future with almost limitless potential for innovation, creativity and global prosperity. While the promise of a global online economy is palpable, it doesn’t come without significant risk. Billions of dollars are processed by Stripe each year and the Credit Operations team works to ensure that exposure is minimized while facilitating partner and company growth.
We are looking for an enthusiastic leader with experience building frameworks and processes to assess credit risk for businesses of all sizes; start-ups to enterprise. This person should be passionate about building world class Credit Risk & Underwriting teams with a desire to educate other Stripes in a complex area of risk.
The right candidate for this role will have a minimum of five years experience in credit risk or underwriting management within e-commerce or payments. They should possess a deep understanding of financial statements, risk management, credit modeling and experience mitigating credit risk.
- Lead a team of 8-10 analysts and underwriters in a hyper-growth tech company; including daily performance management and coaching;
- Build credit risk and underwriting frameworks that allow your team to evaluate business models and financial statements of successful venture-backed startups to well established institutions;
- Maintain oversight of operational vendor performance as it relates to credit work streams, ensuring compliance with any regulatory and financial partner expectations;
- Develop and implement comprehensive exposure strategies and business rules that balance losses, cost of execution, and customer experience;
- Identify risk factors and trends and further report these identifiers to the wider risk team to ensure consistency in partnership;
- Utilize analytics to optimize existing strategies, in order to increase detection rates for users that pose elevated credit risk;
- Facilitate monthly, quarterly, and annual business reviews for the Credit Operations team;
Define and manage core metrics, SLAs, and performance of the Credit Operations team;
- Generate metrics to show the performance of credit risk detection systems for use in management reporting;
- Identify gaps in current systems, policies and strategies, and recommends enhancements and process improvements to mitigate emerging risks through a collaborative approach with stakeholders;
- Manage multiple projects to enhance and optimize credit risk strategy systems and tools.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- A minimum of five years experience managing credit risk and/or underwriting teams;
- Experience and knowledge of commercial credit underwriting, financial risk modeling, and cash flow forecasting;
- The ability to transform business and financial data into a cohesive narrative that outlines potential credit risks and presents dynamic mitigation strategies;
- Strong knowledge of accounting principles and comfort with evaluating financial statements and business models across a range of industries;
- Deep empathy for entrepreneurs running a business, and are motivated to solve problems to empower them;
- Proficiency in SQL or other data analysis tools;
- The ability and desire to challenge the status quo;
- Creative thinker who considers problems from a customer perspective while being pragmatic and solutions oriented when solving them.