Wealthsimple is a financial services company on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom by providing products and advice that are accessible and affordable. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost.
With over 1 million people using Wealthsimple products, we are the market leader in Canada, and we’re fast growing in the US and UK. Our team is working together to build one of the most innovative fintech companies in the world and we're looking for talented people who want to help us move fast, ship often and make a huge impact. Join us on our mission to make financial services simple and affordable for everyone!
Wealthsimple Core Services (WS Core) is the business unit that provides the back-end technology, operations and platform that powers Wealthsimple’s products. It originated as a brokerage and continues to expand to deliver a wider breadth of financial services to our clients.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Join as a key member of the Core Finance and Operations teams, with the important mandate of building and leading a lean but high performing Financial Operations function
- Be a thought leader in building the vision/end-state of the function and the plan to get there balancing the ‘quick wins’ and longer-term goals/objectives; potential to lead a team to execute on the vision
- Own daily execution of all operational-critical activities related to transactions and derived values from the ledger (e.g., review and QA monthly client statements, data corrections on client earnings/account value, calculating client reimbursements)
- Be a key partner to our Book of Record and Money Movement engineering teams by providing expertise on things like how transactions should be reflected in the ledger and other systems (e.g., attributes) for reporting and tax requirements, and how data in the ledger should be interpreted
- Lead and execute the documentation of ledger and fund flow requirements to enable scaling of our operations
- Audit performance reports, trade confirmations and other advisor and brokerage documentation
- Work as a player-coach to lead a lean team of Financial Ops Associate(s)
- Work cross-functionally with Trading, Operations, Finance and Securities Management teams to ensure there are strong feedback loops and communication channels to continuously improve our operations processes and systems
- Design and build metrics & risk controls to monitor the health of the accuracy of financial records
We're looking for someone who:
- Holds a BS or BA in Accounting/Finance or related field; CFA/CPA designation or pursuit an asset
- Brings 5+ years of accounting, finance and/or financial operations experience
- Possesses deep knowledge of OSC & IIROC regulatory requirements
- Has a clear vision for how a high performing Financial Operations function operates, and can build a plan to get there
- Has experience managing people and possess an inclusive, direct and growth-mindset leadership approach
- Is able to quickly ramp up and learn about how our brokerage operates
- Is naturally curious and a problem-solver; if something seems off, they want to figure out what’s going on. You enjoy navigating uncertainty, bringing clarity to ambiguity and don’t wait for a playbook to be written
- Is deeply analytical. You are comfortable navigating large sets of data and pulling insights from it; strong experience in Excel is a must, familiarity with database querying (e.g., SQL) and Oracle is a strong asset
- Is organized with a strong attention to detail and the ability to meet tight deadlines
- Is relentless when investigating issues as well as identifying and eliminating root causes
- Is passionate about technology, specifically fintech
- Has awesome people skills and a positive attitude; you will be working in a highly collaborative environment
At Wealthsimple, we embrace difference. We believe that getting to the best outcomes requires diverse perspectives and backgrounds. We create space where all voices can be heard so that we can all do our life's best work. We’re committed to openness, curiosity and creating an inclusive culture as we know that diverse teams build better products and generate better ideas. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know