The Team and Role:
Are you an experienced editor with a background in managing teams of freelance writers, optimizing copy for search engine performance, and owning and executing an editorial calendar? Grove is looking for a managing editor to join its growth marketing team and help us scale our SEO content operations into an editorial powerhouse, seamlessly blending SEO keyword/traffic needs with a strong editorial sensibility. In this role, you’ll not only play a key role in ramping up our new content production, but will also manage optimization for existing articles and product copy targeted at specific keywords related to the natural cleaning, home goods, and personal care space.
The Managing Editor, SEO position is a full-time, in-house position reporting to Grove’s SEO Senior Manager. While preference is for the position to be in-house in our San Francisco offices once it is deemed safe to return, the position will begin remote — and could potentially be based elsewhere in the U.S. for the right candidate.
YOUR IMPACT: Primary Responsibilities (75%)
- Execute on Grove’s current content and SEO strategy, managing freelance writers and content agency relationships, editorial calendar, and product description rewrite process from start to finish.
- Act as top-level editor for all SEO content, ensuring deliverables hit both search engine optimization best practices and brand style guide needs.
- Provide SEO guidance for brand-level content, including but not limited to: keyword recommendations for new product launches, metadata/SEO checklist for brand CMS pages, post-live performance analysis.
- Train freelance writers and editors, including systems and CMS onboarding, QAing initial copy, and ongoing feedback and check-ins as needed.
- Loading and QAing long-form SEO content into CMS, including but not limited to: wireframing content layout in Contentful, translating Google doc content into wireframe, basic HTML formatting (links, bolding, unordered lists), image sourcing/sizing/uploading, and double-checking SEO and social elements (title tag, meta description, alt tags, open graph markup).
- Participate in editorial, project kickoff, and/or project check-in meetings for growth marketing as well as cross-functional teams.
YOUR IMPACT: Secondary Responsibilities (25%)
- Audit on-page content — including product details pages, product list pages (categories and brands), and long-form editorial content — for optimization opportunities.
- Manage SEO portion of quarterly consumer insights reports, including sourcing appropriate writers and managing workflow as part of overall calendar.
- Perform competitive analysis and category opportunity deep dives.
- Basic SEO reporting around content performance using internal analytics and external tools (Google Search Console, SEMRush).
- Bachelor’s degree (or relevant experience), with a background in content production and experience directly managing writers (agency, freelance, or in-house).
- Strong understanding of SEO principles, including title tags, meta descriptions, on-page elements, and keyword research.
- Eagle-eyed editor not afraid to dive in and write where needed, with proven expertise in SEO writing.
- Experience working in a CMS; Contentful or Wordpress experience a plus — need to be able to structure (via CMS) a block of text via widgets and/or HTML.
- Basic HTML skills, particularly around content formatting.
- Experience with keyword research and reporting via third-party SEO tools (Google Search Console, SEMRush, Ahrefs, etc.), and ability to manipulate this data via Excel/Google Sheets.
- Self-starter who is comfortable owning and driving projects and isn’t afraid of a fast-paced environment and multi-tasking while working against tight deadlines.
NICE TO HAVES:
- Nice to Haves:
- Experience in ecommerce space; growth or acquisition marketing background a plus.
- Experience with Asana or other project management tools.
- Analytics and/or data science experience and the ability to provide quantitative evidence of the direct impact of content work — Google Analytics experience a plus.
Core Benefits: Stock options, Medical, Dental, Vision, Pre-tax and Roth 401k options, Short term and Long Term Disability and Life Insurance, Employer contribution toward Health Savings Account (HSA)
Perks: Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Perkspot discount platform, Quarterly peer recognition awards, Class Pass discount, Free VIP Membership + 25% off every Grove order
Work/Life: WFH stipend + internet reimbursement, Flexible Paid Time Off, 12 week Paid Parental Leave + discounts on fertility services
ABOUT GROVE COLLABORATIVE:
Launched in 2016 as a Certified B Corp, Grove Collaborative creates innovative natural products and offers a curated selection of healthy home essentials like cleaning supplies and personal care products. With a flexible, monthly delivery model and a personal Grove Guide assigned to each customer, Grove’s platform makes it easy for people to switch to healthier, more sustainable routines. Every item Grove offers, both from their flagship Grove Collaborative brand and from exceptional third party brands, has been thoroughly vetted against strict standards for sustainability, efficacy and supply chain practices. On a mission to move Beyond Plastic, Grove is the first and only plastic neutral retailer in the world and is committed to becoming 100% plastic-free by 2025. For more information, please visit www.grove.co/plastic
Let’s do this
We're building a diverse and inclusive work environment where we learn from each other. We welcome people of diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a fun place to work. Come join the community at Grove. It's a heck of a lot of fun, and we'd love to tell you more about it.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to [email protected]
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.