WHO WE ARE
VOW for Girls believes that celebrations of love – weddings, anniversaries, birthdays, and more – can be a catalyst for supporting girls whose futures, educations, and choices are at risk. This year alone, more than 12 million girls are at risk of child marriage, threatening their ability to own their futures. We invite individuals, couples, event professionals, brand leaders, and others to invest in the power, voice, and choice of girls everywhere. In doing so, we’re bringing much-needed funding and resources to effective yet underfunded community programs around the world that are in need of investment to engage young girls, helping them to stay in school, avoid child marriage, and have opportunities to thrive. VOW for Girls was founded in late 2018 by global human rights activist Mabel van Oranje and Ford Foundation President Darren Walker.
VOW is seeking a Marketing & Community Engagement Intern (with a dual reporting line to the Communications & Marketing Lead and the Community Engagement Lead) to support our storytelling and content creation efforts to raise awareness of our work to end child marriage. VOW aspires to be the charity of choice of the global wedding industry, building a sharp and differentiated brand that compellingly tells the story of child marriage and inspires wedding professionals along with engaged couples and their friends and family to support the organization. You’ll help us achieve that vision.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Develop content to help execute VOW’s impact content strategy, demonstrating the organization’s impact and powerfully inspiring others to join our work
- Pitch ideas in developing new social media campaigns and strategies to reach our audience
- Assist in finding new influencers and brands that we can partner with to create an impact
- Partner with external agencies to brainstorm creative ways to bring people knowledge about Girls Rights!
- Assist with community management
- Assist team with social media research, preparing pre-approved social media posts, and keyword and hashtag research for increased awareness on social media and Pinterest
- Monitor and track social media analytics to provide insights and recommendations to improve social media performance
- You love social media! You have the perfect mix of strategy and creativity.
- You have a crappy mindset and a healthy dose of hustle.
- You have basic knowledge of social channels including Instagram, TikTok, Facebook and Pinterest.
- Interest in nonprofit, communications, wedding industry, and/or girls empowerment preferred. You are digitally savvy and follow social media trends.
- You have exceptional judgment and emotional intelligence. You’re a careful listener and can read the room. You demonstrate personal integrity and dedication.
- You find yourself searching TikTok for answers instead of Google (no judgment here!).
- At least 18 years old, currently enrolled in a four-year academic institution completing a bachelor’s degree or graduate degree
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Computer literacy, familiarity with Google Drive (docs, slides, sheets, Gmail, meet), and Slack
- Must have access to a personal computer
- Paid - $15 per hour (up to 35 hours per week)
- Full-time: total of 35 hours per week
- Part-time: 2-3 days per week (with a total of 10-20 hours per week)
- Length of internship: 8 weeks
- Ideal start date: June 19, 2023
DON’T MEET EVERY SINGLE REQUIREMENT?
We still encourage you to apply! Studies show that women, non-binary applicants, and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every single qualification. However, at VOW for Girls, our diverse backgrounds, perspectives, identities, and talents help us thrive.
VOW is committed to racial equity and social justice and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities to provide a wide range of perspectives, ideas, views, and insights into the strategy, policies, culture, and ambitions of VOW for Girls.