As a Materials Engineering Manager at Virgin Hyperloop One, you will be responsible for developing and leading the Materials Engineering team. This team is a group of experts who work with the design and manufacturing teams to ensure that all materials chosen in the Virgin Hyperloop One system are the optimum selections for each specific application, and that they perform as expected throughout the life of the product. This person should have a broad understanding of materials, such that they can work effectively with their entire team and provide materials guidance to the rest of the company as well.
The Materials Engineering Manager will:
• Hire and mentor FTE’s and consultants to meet materials needs of the design, analysis, manufacturing, test and development teams.
• Identify the need for consultants and coordinate consultant work.
• Train, guide and define tasks for engineers and technicians working as part of the Materials Team.
• Prioritize projects and requests that come in from across the company according to company and team milestones and schedules
• Working with the System Safety team, lead development of the appropriate materials standards and other documentation (i.e. Approved Materials List or Database) required to obtain regulatory approval for the materials used in the VHO system.
• Work collaboratively with design teams on material selection and specification of testing for materials validation and qualification, considering material properties, processing, environment, life, and cost
• Always work to promote a safety culture, by following Environmental Health and Safety guidelines and creating improvements to enhance efficiency and safety in the laboratories and other work areas.
The candidate for this role must possess good communication and organizational skills. Must have fluency in a variety of materials properties, life, interactions, cost, processing and testing.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EXPERIENCE:
�• Bachelor’s degree in Materials Science, Metallurgy, or equivalent degree or experience
• Knowledge of a variety of materials, and an understanding of the key properties and limitations of each
• Experience selecting and vetting materials for a new design, including determining necessary testing to prove a material for an application
• Hands-on experience with materials evaluation, testing, manufacturing, and characterization techniques, including determination of appropriate evaluation techniques and limitations of evaluation methods
• Experience with creation of materials specifications, SOP’s, or other processing or requirements documentation
• Experience working in a startup environment or working in the early stages of an engineering company, working to create or mature engineering processes
• Experience managing a technical team
Hyperloop One is an Equal Employment Employer; employment is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other protected status. Hyperloop One will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the “Ban the Box” legislation. We may access publicly available information as part of your application. For full information on how your personal information will be stored and processed, please click here.
To all recruitment agencies: Virgin Hyperloop One does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Virgin Hyperloop One employees or any other company location. Virgin Hyperloop One is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.