You’re the kind of person who:
- Is so passionate about math education that you could speak about it all day long
- Loves being in the classroom and wants to make an impact on students and teachers
- Dreams up new ways to teach math concepts in your spare time
- Is known among your colleagues for getting things done
Perhaps you're a trained math teacher looking to make a difference beyond the walls of your classroom? Do you have some corporate experience, and are you thinking about doing something fulfilling where you have a pivotal role in a growing organization?
This is a unique opportunity for a self-starting individual to be part of a young and ambitious company looking to create large-scale solutions for teaching and learning mathematics. Ideally, you have at least four years of experience, with a background in middle or high school teaching and/or administration, focused on mathematics or STEM. You have experience in delivering professional development and math curriculum writing, and are fluent in using technology in the classroom. Previous experience in direct customer facing roles is an advantage.
Mathspace is an education technology company based in New York, and headquartered in Sydney, Australia. Mathspace’s highly innovative adaptive math program allows students to receive feedback at every step of a math problem, with handwriting recognition for mobile devices. Each step of students’ math reasoning is automatically graded, with feedback, hints and suggestions guiding students to the final answer.
Mathspace’s step-by-step approach means data is collected at multiple points in a problem, which can then be used to personalize the learning experience for each individual through our adaptive engine. Mathspace combines this student notebook with a teacher dashboard and a full digital textbook, including lessons, interactive widgets, and thousands of instructional videos, all aligned to multiple US and global curricula.
About the role
As Curriculum and Customer Support Specialist, you will have a dual role encompassing curriculum development and customer implementation support. You will be responsible for delivering a range of training, implementation and coaching services to support Mathspace customers and help them understand how to best utilize the program. You’ll work closely with school and district leaders to plan and coordinate delivery of these services, and liaise with Mathspace colleagues to communicate customer outcomes and product development feedback.
You will also be responsible for developing curriculum for middle and high school math, including problem writing, instructional videos, and project-based learning modules.
Be warned, this is not your average 9-5 job. At Mathspace we’re looking to change the world, one math problem at a time, by creating the math curriculum of the future. By thinking outside the box and challenging the status quo, our small team has made huge inroads in a market dominated by global publishing houses, and we’re looking for passionate individuals to join us in our mission.
Mathspace is based in New York, NY, but we have flexible working arrangements, and we are looking for candidates from Virginia, USA.
- Content creation: Develop middle and/or high school math content aligned to state standards, including problems, lessons, instructional videos and project-based learning modules. Drawing from teaching experience and state curricula, you will identify a mathematical skill and develop a unit of work to teach it. This involves writing a set of questions with clear progression, creating an explanatory lesson, and linking this work with other associated skills.
- Coordinate and deliver on-site and virtual training to support customers and help achieve Mathspace’s goals for customer retention and conversion
- Coach math teachers in the interpretation of Mathspace data and effective strategies for implementation of Mathspace tools as part of their teaching
- Collect and synthesize customer feedback to monitor customer engagement and feed into product development
- Analyze account data to monitor engagement, identify customer use cases and plan customized training modules
- Promote Mathspace at conferences and events and follow up with any leads generated
- Manage incoming sales leads from marketing efforts, and manage customer experience from initial outreach through to sale
- Build strong, long-lasting relationships with customers at all levels in a school organization
- Maintain an enthusiastic, can-do mindset and outgoing personality that inspires our customers and fellow team members
- Maintain customer information and track implementation activity using Pipedrive (CRM)
- Communicate team’s field experience across internal teams, especially with the Curriculum team and Technical team
- Travel regularly (up to 20%) to meet with customers and to deliver on-site training while maintaining high productivity level
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree, preferably with a math/STEM/education major
- At least four years of middle or high school teaching and/or administrative experience, with a background in mathematics or STEM
- Excellent conceptual understanding of secondary level mathematics
- Experience in, and evidence of, math curriculum writing at a middle/high school level
- Highly adept with technology, and quick to learn new technologies and apply solutions
- Ability to communicate across all levels of an organization, excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Strong analytical skills (e.g. reporting, excel, data analysis); experience with data driven instruction and business communications
- Thrives in ambiguity, enjoying the challenge of independently solving issues and offering solutions for customers where there is no pre-defined path
- Can contribute to Mathspace culture: open to giving and receiving feedback, loves to delight customers, highly resourceful, humble, makes high impact with limited time/resources, gets things done
- Experience in a direct customer facing function (sales, customer service)
- Experience in the development and delivery of professional development for K-12 educators
- Experience in leadership positions and inspiring others to action (sales, leadership, fundraising, public service)
- Marketing skills (newsletters, blogging, social media, creating handouts and case studies)
- Public speaking and presenting skills: conferences, panel talks, trade shows, performance
- Entrepreneurial background or startup experience
- Competitive salary and commission
- Travel Allowance
- Flexible work hours and conditions - work from the office, home and on the road
- A culture focused on coaching to help our staff develop new skills
- A dynamic, exciting environment where each day is different, and you can help define the journey of the organization
- True ownership of work. You’ll drive your threads of work, our customers and partners will know who you are, and you’ll help grow the company. Your ideas matter.
- The opportunity to use cutting edge technology to transform mathematics education
- Fulfillment from knowing you’re playing a crucial role improving the lives of teachers, parents and students