Our client, Mattina Mechanical Ltd (MML) is a well-established full-service mechanical contractor that continues to grow year after year. They have built exceptional industry recognition delivering results for a variety of mechanical services, including installation and maintenance for Institutional, Commercial and Industrial construction projects.
Becoming a member of the Mattina Mechanical team offers you several benefits, including the opportunity to focus on your professional growth. Recognizing that their people are the key contributor to their success, they offer several benefits, including professional growth and advancement opportunities. The head office is in Hamilton, Ontario.
Summary of Role
The Mechanical Designer (MD) position involves providing detailed 3D CAD / Revit piping design and general trade coordination drawings for use by MML’s Technical Engineering/Fabrication department and for field installation purposes.
The Mechanical Designer (MD) is responsible for extracting information from the project technical documentation (Specifications, Project Drawings, Shop Drawings, Installation manuals, Field Sketches, etc.) and developing the necessary drawings to support the Fabrication department.
In addition, this role will develop coordination, field routing, and interference drawings for all required projects and coordinate the interferences with the Project Manager(s) and/or third-party Engineers associated with the project. The MD is responsible for managing the technical communications, documents and drawings, revision history, and filing system for the Technical Engineering Department. The MD will work with tradespersons, project engineers, managers, and other stakeholders as necessary, as well as provide technical support and oversight for all shop fabrication activities (i.e. design, materials, QA/QC, etc.)
What you will be doing:
- Ensures Fabrication coordination (materials, components, scheduling, shop flow/input
- Reviews and understands Architectural, Structural, Civil, Electrical and Mechanical drawings and specifications
- Incorporate lessons learned and build efficiencies into existing processes
- Identifies coordination/interference issues between the mechanical scope and all other trades
- Develops a coordination set of drawings which clearly identifies coordination and/or interference issues
- Revises drawings to clarify dimensions, elevations, and other aspects to clear the interference issues
- Develops fully dimensioned 3D AutoCAD and/or Revit drawings to:
- define piping assemblies for fabrication or field routing
- define mechanical packages such as boiler skids, heat exchanger assemblies, header and valve skids, etc.
- define sheet metal ducting scope for sheet metal trades as part of a design build process (engineering, sizing by others)
- Works with vendors to clarify/modify shop drawings to suit fabrication requirements
- Layout and dimension HVAC roof curbs, roof and wall openings, pitch pockets, and other penetrations per the shop drawings on structural drawings
- Assists the Technical Engineering Manager in coordinating Vendors
- Attends project meetings as required
- Performs site visits and takes field Measurements to support fabrication work
- Works with Survey personnel to develop detailed location drawings
- Manages software technical libraries to ensure consistency and accuracy
- Develops/generates section drawings to support field installation requirements
- Develops clear and concise text (wording) associated with RFI’s affecting the fabrication and Value engineering scope
- Supports and works with the Chief Estimator in design build/design assist opportunities
- Collaborates with Estimating and Technical engineering departments
- Actively works to streamline work processes to remove inefficiencies
- Supports Company ISO Quality Control efforts, and auditing as required
- Performs other duties as required
What we are looking for
- Mechanical Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Minimum of 1-3 years experience with mechanical piping and HVAC design
- Good knowledge of building mechanical systems for commercial, institutional, and industrial projects.
- Excellent knowledge of piping materials, joining methods, welding symbols, gasket materials, etc.
- Able to manage multiple priorities and to provide forecasts and schedules for their work
- Self-starter with excellent initiative
- Mechanical detailing experience suitable for fabrication would be an asset
- Aware of TSSA requirements
- Excellent Computer skills
- Demonstrated ability to organize and manage multiple tasks
- Very good communications skills, both written and verbal
- Driver’s License in good standing
What MML Offers
- 40 years of economic stability
- Competitive compensation
- Bonus program
- Comprehensive benefits
- Employer RRSP contributions
- Continuing education and upgrading opportunities
- Training opportunities
- Friendly, collaborative, family atmosphere
- Team approach to all work activities
For consideration please apply online. As part of our commitment to inclusivity, diversity, equity and accessibility, our goal is a workforce built on respect that reflects the communities we serve. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are proud to be in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), 2005 and the Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation. We are happy to honor accommodations at any part of the recruitment process and invite you to let us know how we can help.