Samara is a design studio at Airbnb exploring the future of human connection, building products and services that bring us closer to each other and with ourselves. We work closely with Airbnb, but operate more experimentally with the intention to push cultural and technological boundaries.
The Mechanical Engineer will solve engineering challenges and conduct fair and thorough research. Even if tasked with designing unconventional solutions, they’ll create prototypes, calculations, and simulations that are solidly anchored to well-reasoned first principles.
- Concept and design mechanical parts and assemblies, working with teammates to define how parts relate with each other and constitute a complete product
- Model parts in CAD to test part interaction, performance, and manufacturability
- Calculate and simulate the structural and mechanical qualities of parts (FEA, CFD, etc.) to ensure structural integrity and reliability
- Design and conduct mechanical performance tests using in-house testing equipment or by working with external testing services to ensure quality and reliability of systems and parts
- Produce prototypes using in-house digital fabrication resources or external fabrication services
Thoroughly document research and development process
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or structural engineering or related engineering fiel
- 2 - 5 years of industry experience
- Proficiency in engineering CAD software, including Solidworks, Siemens NX, etc.
- Experience with mechanical and structural analysis software, including Solidworks FEA, ANSYS, etc.
- Experience with mechanical testing, including hardness testing, tensile testing, impact testing, fatigue testing, etc.
- Hands-on prototyping experience, including machining, laser, waterjet, and plasma cutting, and 3D printing, etc.
- Experience with or knowledge of high-volume manufacturing processes, including injection molding, casting, sheet metal forming, etc.
- Authorization to work in the United States
- Experience or knowledge of at least one of the following: fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, or heat transfer