GSE Systems, Inc. is a world leader in real-time high-fidelity simulation, providing a wide range of simulation, training and engineering solutions to the power and process industries. Its comprehensive and modular solutions help customers achieve performance excellence in design, training and operations. GSE's products and services are tailored to meet specific client requirements such as scope, budget and timeline. The Company has over four decades of experience, more than 1,100 installations, and hundreds of customers in over 50 countries spanning the globe. The Company has been a publicly traded for over 22 years (GVP), has no debt, revenues over $55 million (30% outside of the US), and is profitable. GSE Systems is headquartered in Sykesville (Baltimore), Maryland, with offices in and Beijing, China. Information about GSE System is available at www.gses.com.
GSE is currently looking for a Mechanical Engineer II / III with a background in power plant thermal-hydraulics to join our team in our Sykesville, MD Corporate office. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and have knowledge of plant transient analysis, fossil power plant thermal-hydraulics, heat transfer and reactor severe accident analysis. This individual will help to create cutting edge safety and training solutions for fossil power plants around the world.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Model thermal-hydraulic systems of power plants using industry grade computer codes.
- Understand and analyze customer furnished data (drawings, design specifications, manuals and other text electronic media.) Extract information from data to develop requirements or implement design.
- Maintain organized and thorough calculation notes of all engineering design work.
- Employ critical problem solving skills to work through engineering issues experienced during project assignments.
- Coordinate with other project engineers and maintain communication with the customer to remain on schedule.
- Test thermal-hydraulic models to ensure they meet acceptance criteria of the customer and the appropriate regulating agency.
- Follow standards and procedures identified for assignment. If existing procedures are not sufficient, report issues to supervisors, and identify possible solutions.
- Maintain a positive work attitude, a high level of communication and cordial relations that foster teamwork across project, offices, and company as a whole.
- Learn Company's tools products, manuals and procedures applicable to assignment.
- Provide documentation to the appropriate project manager for all development phases as required by project.
- Participate in various design reviews and bring follow-up action items to closure.
- Consults with users to identify current operating procedures and to clarify program objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Two to five years of Mechanical Engineering experience
- GPA of 3.0 or above (if less than 3 years of experience)
- Experience with computer programming. Fortran and/or C++ is strongly preferred
- Willingness to learn quickly and step outside of assigned role to help the project or team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25% of the time