MID-KANSAS COMMUNITY ACTION PROGRAM
ABOUT MID-KANSAS COMMUNITY ACTION PROGRAM, INC. (CAP)
The Mid-Kansas Community Action Program, Inc. is a community-based, non-profit organization that empowers its customers to move out of poverty. Through providing programs and services focused on expanding community housing options, education, employment, economic mobility, family development, and support services, and actively engaging community members in anti-poverty collaborations, our staff continuously works to pursue our mission of “Helping people, changing lives”.
Since 1967, Mid-Kansas CAP has improved the lives of thousands of people, in 19 counties, who were living in poverty, while promoting personal accountability through job readiness training, rent & utility assistance, transportation, food & nutrition supplements, financial counseling, income development spending plans, as well as intensive case management. Through an initiative in 1996, we expanded our reach to become a Community Housing Development Organization with 24 affordable housing units. Our vision is to further expand our housing development to serve the additional needs of our customers in Mid-Kansas.
POSITION OVERVIEW (SEE CANDIDATE PROFILE)
Mid-Kansas CAP is seeking an experienced and growth-minded Executive Director (ED), to set organizational goals in response to the ever-increasing needs of the customers we serve. The Executive Director is the chief administrative officer of Mid-Kansas Community Action Program, Inc., responsible for providing management oversight and leadership of the organizational anti-poverty programs in 19 counties in South Central Kansas.
The Executive Director is directly accountable to the Board of Directors and is responsible for the planning, administration, staffing and successful implementation of all programs and services. Under the direction of the Board, the Executive Director manages an annual budget of $1M, and oversight of all grant funding and private donations. Additional duties include leadership of 10 staff, organization planning and capacity building for services impacting low-income families, resource grants management, fiscal fund management and developing and maintaining key community collaborations. The ideal candidate will bring commitment, passion, and innovation to the ED role, providing a sense of continuity, while always looking to meet the needs of the community we serve.
- Lead and implement a strategic plan that aligns programs with Mid-Kansas CAP’s core values, mission, vision and long-term goals.
- Manage the overall tactical leadership of the organization including operations, risk-management, programming, partnerships, advocacy, fundraising and finances.
- Strive to create a cohesive, collaborative and supportive workplace environment, developing the Mid-Kansas CAP team while retaining, supporting and recruiting quality staff and volunteers.
- Responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating, and supervising all programming activities, consistent with established grant policies, relevant local, state and federal laws, and the policy direction established by the Board.
Board of Directors Relations
- Develop annual and continual training for the Board of Directors in collaboration with the Board Chair, on subjects including governance and fundraising.
- Serve the Board in all administrative functions including preparation and dissemination of agendas, minutes, financial reports, committee minutes, policies, and strategic planning documents.
- Foster effective teamwork with the Board of Directors, and between the Board and staff.
- Represent the Board to communities, government agencies, service providers, associations, and other interested parties.
Grant Management & Quality Control
- Identify, draft, submit and negotiate government applications and contracts for funding.
- Demonstrate quality control by reviewing accuracy and thoroughness of reporting, and monitoring agency work to ensure quality of programs.
- Manage and apply principles of the Community Service Block Grant, and any other funded programs.
- Develop and sustain collaborations in the implementation of comprehensive family and community support programs, without the duplication of services.
- In partnership with the staff, develop, quantify and measure key programming metrics and provide detailed analysis of results for improved services.
- Maintain HOME & tax credit units under the Community Housing Development Organization (CHDO) program.
- Ensure financial, accounting and billing systems for Mid-Kansas CAP, Inc. for timely and accurate reporting of the agency's financial status, and to support development and monitoring of the budget.
- Ensure agency financial stability and sustainability by maintaining healthy cash flow and adequate reserves.
- Create and cultivate relationships with new donors and prospective Board members.
- Recommend to the Board an annual budget designed to ensure sound fiscal operation of the agency.
Community Collaboration & Advocacy
- Generate opportunities to regularly engage with customers, volunteers, donors, staff and team members to improve services and generate increased community involvement.
- Initiate, develop and maintain cooperative relationships with key constituencies including government officials, leaders of nonprofit organizations, corporations, foundations, and private philanthropists to promote policies that support low-income families and communities.
- Educate state and local officials and legislators on the issues affecting low-income families and communities.
- Bachelors’ degree in human services, social sciences, public administration, education or related fields.
- Prior experience as a nonprofit leader with oversight of an annual operating budget greater than $500k.
- Demonstrated fundraising success with major donors, private foundations, and institutional partnerships, a plus.
- An entrepreneurial business mindset with a proven track record leading a strategic planning process, resulting in improved efficiency, program expansion, effectiveness, and sustainability of the organizational budget.
- Demonstrated experience in risk-management, with an emphasis on addressing strategic and financial implications.
- Demonstrated experience with community engagement, especially regarding creating and implementing strategic outreach, marketing, and social media.
- Demonstrated belief in and a commitment to continued professional growth and development of employees, volunteers and the Board of Directors.
- Ability to lead operations and collaborate with staff, work with diverse groups of people and a wide range of faiths, beliefs, ages, cultures, and experiences.
- Strong understanding of Low-Income Tax Credit (LITC); developing, operating, and reporting requirements, preferred.
- Understanding of statistical and relevant needs and resource-related information that represent the issues and needs of families in Mid-Kansas CAP, Inc.’s service delivery area.
- Ability to demonstrate a working knowledge of federal and state funded programs; an individual with prior knowledge of or experience with Community Action Agencies is preferred.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary range for this position is $60,000 - $79,000, depending on qualifications and experience. Mid-Kansas Community Action Program, Inc. offers an exceptional benefits package including holiday time, paid time off, retirement plans and insurance.
Mid-KS CA, Inc. does not discriminate based on race, creed, age, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual preference, marital status, disability, political or union affiliation in recruitment, employment, promotion, demotion, transfer, reduction in force, termination, and rate of pay or other compensations. Mid-KS CAP, Inc. will comply with all rules, orders, and regulations of lawful authorities having jurisdiction over any phase of its operations including, but not limited to those concerned with equal employment opportunity.
Applicants needing accommodation for any part of the application process may contact Envision Consulting at 626.889.7905 to request and arrange for assistance.
Envision Consulting was retained by Mid-Kansas Community Action Program, Inc. to conduct the search for their incoming Executive Director.