The Multimedia Journalist for the AccuWeather.com writes news stories with a weather angle, under deadline pressure. They will be expected to research news stories, interview internal and external experts. They will implement daily social media strategies and work with the video team as required. They understand that the weather and the news require 24/7/365 coverage and they therefore may be required to work differing hours, depending on the severity of the weather situation or breaking news story.
This is a part-time position; up to 29 hours per week. There will be weekend shifts for this role.
- Participate in generation of unique, compelling weather-related story ideas
- Excellent knowledge of AccuWeather and AP writing style
- Follow trending topics on social networking, including Google, Twitter and Facebook for story ideas and headlines that optimize AccuWeather.com’s reach in search engine optimization
- Write accurate stories that are well researched and attributed to necessary sources and update as necessary
- Interview proper sources to enhance story content
- Respond quickly to breaking news and weather situations, contributing to the news team's coverage of the event
- Creatively use social media to send out breaking/interesting weather information and links to AccuWeather.com news stories
- Ensure that any controversial stories assigned are reviewed by the information manager, who may refer the story to senior management for review
- Available for weekend shifts
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism or a related communications field required
- Demonstrated journalism/media/social media experience through internships and/or work experience required
- Must have strong writing skills and excellent knowledge of AP style
- Must have knowledge and experience using Facebook, Twitter (experience using HootSuites preferred) and emerging social media platforms
- Must be able to develop an understanding of basic scientific and meteorological concepts
- Must be self-motivated, team-oriented and work well under pressure
- Must have excellent communication skills and be proactive in seeking out interviews to enhance story content
- Basic non-linear video editing skills are preferred
- Basic HTML skills are preferred
AccuWeather is Proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.