At Ocado Solutions we are responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform ("OSP"), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world, redefining the customer grocery experience through the adoption of a centralised, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
We are currently recruiting for experienced engineers to work at Ocado's state-of-the-art Customer Fulfilment Centre, which is 563,000 square feet and boasts world leading technology that is predominantly developed in house at Ocado. At full capacity, we will be fulfilling over 200,000 customer orders a week at Erith, which requires 24/7 operation and a dedicated Engineering team.
The Engineering Team are responsible for all of the day to day reactive and planned engineering maintenance activities as well as improvement works at the Customer Fulfilment Centre on MHE; such as conveyor networks, lifts, cranes, belts, etc.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Reacting to MHE breakdowns (both mechanical and electrical), locating the fault, analysing the issue and completing the fix in a timely manner to keep operation downtime to a minimum.
- Be required to keep accurate records such as work activities, tasks carried out, parts used through stores, etc.
- Work closely with other departments to find ways to increase machine reliability on existing and new equipment, diagnose equipment breakdowns and action repairs ensuring direction of labour and planned engineering activities fully support the operation.
- Attend meetings as required, analyse data and find solutions to improve equipment performance whilst ensuring safe working practice and full communications are maintained at all times.
- In addition, you will be involved in projects within the business to develop an effective engineering install and commissioning.
You may also be asked to perform tasks as required by management deemed as a reasonable request. This job description is a summary of the typical functions of the role, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of possible role responsibilities, tasks and duties and is subject to review. The responsibilities, tasks and duties of the job holder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might form part of the job.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- A formal qualification in an electrical or mechanical engineering subject (apprentice served, NVQ, HNC or equivalent)
- Strong electrical experience preferable within a FMCG environment.
- Knowledge / experience of working with controls, analysing faults and providing solutions.
- Experience of both reactive and preventative maintenance
- Good technical ability relating to automation hardware and software.
- Strong organisation and communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-disciplined team of varying levels of technical experience.
What will I get in return?
- Competitive salary and benefits including Free Shares and Life Assurance
- 15% off your Ocado shopping
- Onsite subsidised café and company shop offering discounts of up to 70% on groceries from leading brands and major retailers
- Private Healthcare
- National discounts including Vodafone, Merlin Attractions, Cineworld, Enterprise Car Hire and many more
- Enhanced Pension scheme - matching up to 7% of your contributions
- Employee Assistance Programme
Shift: Our Engineering Team work 12 hour shifts working an average of 42 hours per week, where you will be required to work weekdays and weekends both days and nights.
We are thrilled to welcome applicants from across the world. Please note that unfortunately we are unable to cover the cost of your visa at this time. We do cover the relevant company costs for visa sponsorship. For all employment offers made for UK roles, it is expected that you will be based in the UK in commutable distance, ready for your first day of work, so please keep this in mind. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Ocado is an equal opportunities employer and as such makes every effort to ensure that all potential employers are treated fairly and equally, regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, marital status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, age, disability or union membership status.
We will always aim to respond to everyone who applies for one of our roles. Sometimes though we have a lot of applicants and it takes us a little while to get back to everyone. If you haven’t heard from us within two weeks of your application, then you should take it that you have not been successful on this occasion and accept our apologies that we didn’t manage to get back to you personally.
Due to the fast-paced nature of Ocado's business our vacancy close dates may be subject to change.